Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Why is my rear end over pressurizing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why is my rear end over pressurizing?

My Moser 12 Bolt with a Detroit Locker in my 01 Camaro was getting pressurized and blowing fluid out the overflow tube, axle bearings, etc... especially the pinion seal.

Anybody have any ideas why the axle might have been over pressuring?

I first took off the pinion yoke to change the seal because the most fluid was leaking from it. When I removed the drive shaft I noticed that there seemed to be excessive backlash when I rocked the pinion yoke, so I pulled the axles and removed the carrier today and every seal looked good, even the pinion seal, I never did find a smoking gun.

I am going to replace both pinion bearings and races and the seal.

Should I replace the axle seals? They look great.

If the pinion bearings were worn would that slop be enough to pressurize the rear end this much that it was blowing gear lube out everywhere?

Could the gear oil just have been shot?
Old 02-22-2010, 04:44 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The vent is plugged with something or the check valve is stuck if it has the new one way vent valve. Thats about all that can cause that if its a preasure problem. If its a seal problem you will have to dig in further for the problem. Hope this helps good luck Tom
Old 02-22-2010, 05:13 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Originally Posted by adrynalinjunkie
My Moser 12 Bolt with a Detroit Locker in my 01 Camaro was getting pressurized and blowing fluid out the overflow tube, axle bearings, etc... especially the pinion seal.

Anybody have any ideas why the axle might have been over pressuring?

I first took off the pinion yoke to change the seal because the most fluid was leaking from it. When I removed the drive shaft I noticed that there seemed to be excessive backlash when I rocked the pinion yoke, so I pulled the axles and removed the carrier today and every seal looked good, even the pinion seal, I never did find a smoking gun.

I am going to replace both pinion bearings and races and the seal.

Should I replace the axle seals? They look great.

If the pinion bearings were worn would that slop be enough to pressurize the rear end this much that it was blowing gear lube out everywhere?

Could the gear oil just have been shot?
Lockers have what seems to be excessive backlash built into them, this is normal. Are you filling the rear to the bottom of the fill hole on the side of the housing? It only take approx 3 quarts of non synthetic gear lube to fill the rear. I have heard of people filling the rear to the top of the axle tube where the breather fitting is located, this would cause an over pressurization to occur. Bob
Old 02-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Launching!

How can you fill the axle up higher than the fill plug??? the vent is on the top of the axle. If you could fill it to much how is that accomplished??? And what back lash do you refer to???????
Old 02-22-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know,
now that I think of it the fill plug on the Moser 12 Bolt cover is WAY too high, that is why I am blowing fluid out I think!
Old 02-23-2010, 06:37 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by adrynalinjunkie
You know,
now that I think of it the fill plug on the Moser 12 Bolt cover is WAY too high, that is why I am blowing fluid out I think!
If you have an aftermarket cover the fill hole is very high on the cover. However, this is NOT the oil level.

The actual fill hole and oil level hole is on the front passenger side of the rear end diff. The plug is hex so you will need a pretty big hex Allen wrench or drive adapter with a hex head to remove the plug. Bob