Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Ground wire to aluminum block

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 01:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground wire to aluminum block

If the LS-1 is an aluminum block why is there a groulding cable runing to the block above the starter .
I had been told aluminum does not make a good ground . Is this false ?
Old 02-22-2010, 07:50 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

Aluminum is actually more conductive than copper and was used for many years in household wiring. Unfortunately, aluminum has other problems that ended up making it unsuitable for household wiring. For example, it expands and contracts at much different rates than other conductors causing connections to come loose. It also tends to form surface oxidation over time that reduces current flow (this can be overcome by using plenty of dielectric grease).

Those problems don't really apply to a ground cable on an aluminum block. It's not like wires twisted together with a wire cap so the connection doesn't come loose and liberal use of dielectric grease keeps the oxidation problem from occurring.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

I appreciate the answer . I had probably heard about house wiring and got my facts turned around . Thanks also for the tip on the grease .

Quick Reply: Ground wire to aluminum block