Sponsored by:

tuning and wide band questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default tuning and wide band questions

Hey guys,
It is about time for me to get a tune for my 383 build. I have been talking to Vince at trifecta and the GT tuner or the software and cable option he has gives me the ability to data log the car after the initial tune so I can send him the log and have him revise the tune if needed. The questions I have are;
1. Has anyone used trifecta before and what was your experience?
2. Is the data log going to help dial in this tune?
3. Do I need a wide band to aid in dialing in the tune? If so which one for an off road Y?
4. How do you do a data log? in other words what do I need to do as far as type of driving while doing the data log?
5. There is probably more to this so I need your .02, but I am not comfortable putting my new engine build on an engine or chassis dyno right away. I will spend the money for that after it is broken in and has some miles under the belt in about 3+ months. I am also out of cash and fishing and diving season are approaching rapidly so I have to spend what I have left getting my boat ready to go for the season or my wife will kill me. She loves to be on the water.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Trifeca initially and I was please. I liked the convenience it provided.

It is always best to have a wideband. It is almost mandatory. It is hard to rely on your narrowbands O2 sensors to determine WOT tuning.

As far as logging and what wideband, there are so many choices and opinions. Eventually I just purchased some tuning software, and liked the ability to do my own tuning.

I would get a wideband, and my experience with Trifeca was good. Hope that helps..
Old 02-22-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WeathermanShawn
I used Trifeca initially and I was please. I liked the convenience it provided.

It is always best to have a wideband. It is almost mandatory. It is hard to rely on your narrowbands O2 sensors to determine WOT tuning.

As far as logging and what wideband, there are so many choices and opinions. Eventually I just purchased some tuning software, and liked the ability to do my own tuning.

I would get a wideband, and my experience with Trifeca was good. Hope that helps..
Thanks for the info. Do I need 2 wide band sensors? one on each side of the Y or just 1 and where do I put it?
Old 02-22-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I just did just one..right before my 'high-flow' cats. I am not sure of your exact setup, but usually one wideband will do. Most of them have clear instructions on where to put them.

It is all pretty easy, if you can get under the car. I had a shop do it for a small fee. I went with a wideband that was compatible to my tuning software.

Hope that helps..