Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette vs. F-body P/S Pump location

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 09:08 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Default Corvette vs. F-body P/S Pump location

Does anyone know why the Corvette and F-body LS1 engines have the power steering pump and alternator placed in different locations? (My Firebird's P/S pump is leaking and making a mess of my alternator and I'd like to go to the Corvette setup if possible.)

I assume, that a F-body engine can be converted to the Corvette setup with a Corvette bracket?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'd need to swap the entire accessory drive including the balancer and AC compressor setup as well, the F-Body accessories are projected a different distance off of the front of the engine.

I believe F-Body's and GTO's are the same projection, but I'm not positive. I know CTS-V's and Vette's are the same as each other, and the trucks are also different.

The entire layout of the accessory drive of the C5 probably won't fit in the F-Body engine bay.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would be a whole lot easier just to fix your power steering leak than to do what you are talking about.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Thanks - exactly what I needed! I think I'll just keep everything as-is and invest in some better cooling to preserve my next P/S pump a bit longer.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have 202,000+ miles on my power steering pump....no leaks no problems...you should consider changing the fluid about every 50,000 miles...get a turkey baster or a large seringe to suck all the fluid out of the tank and then replace it with new fluid...then start the car and turn the wheel back and forth lock to lock a few times...and then repeat the procedur a couple of more times till you have gotten the old fluid out...only thing bettter is some shops have machines that can suck out the old fluid and put new fluid in at the same time...either way changing your power steering fluid will add life to your system..
Old 02-24-2010, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I put the LS1 in my Chevelle back in 2001, I bought all of the Corvette front accessory's, to clear the steering box. That set-up was well over a grand, and that was with an empoyee discount. They are right, it would be much easier, and cheaper, to fix your pump.

Quick Reply: Corvette vs. F-body P/S Pump location