PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would a modified MAF turn on bank1 and bank2 lean condition codes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Would a modified MAF turn on bank1 and bank2 lean condition codes?

I have no history on my 98 Z28 I just picked up. The SES light came on and I have bank 1 and bank 2 lean condition. I pulled the air lid off and I have a ported, screen less MAF sensor on this thing. The car runs great with no problem at all just the SES light will come on about every other time I open the car up at WOT. I have reset the light about 3 times now and it has not come on in the last week under normal driving conditions.

Few questions:
Would the modded MAF cause this?

If I change back to a stock MAF will my car not run right if this car has been tuned to run on this MAF?

Is there any way of finding out if this car was tuned?

Could the MAF be the problem?

Car mods are SLP lid, K&N Filter, modified MAF, MAC headers with MAC catted y pipe running AIR, EGR, and all 4 O2 sensors, and a SLP loudmouth 1.

Last edited by CAMJAG; 02-23-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CAMJAG
Would the modded MAF cause this?
Yes.

If I change back to a stock MAF will my car not run right if this car has been tuned to run on this MAF?
Depends upon how they "tuned" the PCM. There's a right way and a wrong way to dial in Air-Fuel delivery. One of them properly addresses the hardware change of a modified filter, lid, and MAF; the other is just a band-aid.

Is there any way of finding out if this car was tuned?
Read out the file from the PCM using something like HPT or EFIlive and compare to a known stock file for the same model year.

Could the MAF be the problem?
It's one piece of the puzzle. A proper tune that rebuilds the MAF transfer function (Airflow vs frequency) table will most likely fix it though.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ Thank you for the info.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do want to get my car dyno tuned by summer so it is running as stout as possible. Do you suggest when I do that to

A. Use a stock MAF
B. Use the one that is modified already
c. Use a new aftermarket unit that is modified

I only ask because when I do have it dyno tuned I would not mind having a higher flowing MAF for the extra power I could gain. I have read the stories on here about people changing to a aftermarket MAF and having problems on their stock motors, but will it benefit me if I get the car dyno tuned?
Old 02-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

If the tuning is done correctly, it won't really matter which MAF you choose as long as it works consistently. I've tuned countless LSx engines using both stock and modified MAF arrangements. Generally speaking, the MAF itself isn't much of a restriction on power for a stock engine. If you want a different fuel or spark delivery, that's what proper PCM calibration is for.