General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How do I replace the heater fan?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question How do I replace the heater fan?

I tried searching here and elsewhere, but no luck. My problem is that my heater/ac blower motor is making a lot of noise. I don't have a repair manual at the moment, and was wondering how hard is it to replace the heater/ac blower fan. I would assume it's under the dash somewhere, but before I start taking stuff apart, I was hoping someone here could chime in with some help/advice or even pics?

My car is a 1999 Z28 (I've had it since 2000 and other than the darn power window motors, and various plastic bits breaking on the interior, it's been a great car, no problems)
Old 02-24-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of noise? I've had leaves get in the box before. It's on the passenger side under the dash - disconnect the electric plug, remove 3 screws, and the motor/blower fan pulls out as a unit.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

It's right above where the passengers' feet would be. Pop out the black panel and do what he said ^^^

Mine was making noise too but it just turned out to be leaves and junk in the fan. I'd check it out before you buy a new blower motor. When you take out the motor, plug the connector back in and turn it on while you hold it in your hand to see if it operates normally.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys..It does sort of sound like leaves or something..closest analogy I can come up with is a card in the spokes of a bicycle wheel. I haven't bought a new fan yet, was hoping to pull the old one out and see if any trash is in there.