Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Street Shocks/Struts and Springs for 408 Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 01:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Street Shocks/Struts and Springs for 408 Needed!

Hello,
I am finishing up my motor swap, and will be done within next couple of weeks. Next is the suspension of course. Can't fun a 408 on stock suspension. I want to start to piece together some parts and i figure i should start with these parts first.

What I am looking for:
I need good shocks/struts for the street. I no the car can go straight or turn, but i am looking for a little mix. I would like to be able to turn the car and run it straight on some long roads. So what should i get, KYB AGX or GR2 or Bilstein. I know everyone will say Koni, but i would like to get something that is good and affordable since i need to do a lot more still on the car.

Springs, im pretty set on a set of strano's, unless anybody else has any opinion.

So cliff notes:
Street car, bilstein, KYB are my first choices, or koni which is my second and that is only based on price
and using strano springs.

Thanks guys
Old 02-25-2010, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much money did you spend on the motor? You can't spend an extra $350 on Koni's over the other shocks???

lol, not trying to give you a hard time, but suspension is very important. I'm assuming you want to lower the car (seeing as how you picked Strano springs), and you'll get your best result with good shocks (aka, Koni's). Otherwise, I'd recommend Bilstein, as it's been said on here that they have better quality dampening than the KYB's (even though the Bilsteins aren't adjustable). A good set of sways will really help in the corners, and other suspension parts can really help with traction. I would recommend:

-Koni 4/3's (only $750 from Stranoparts now)
-Strano 35/22 sways (for you, you might want to look for the adjustable rear sway package so you can adjust it a bit more for the strip)
-LCA's (help with traction)
-PHB (adjustable to recenter your rear, and it'll make it feel more solid in corners)
-LCA RB's (help with traction by correcting your angle from your LCA's when you lower)
-and your springs of course

If you can't spring for Koni's, then Bilsteins would be my next choice.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

get the shocks first, they are the most important. Also make sure you DON'T get bilstein HDs because they are not to be used with lowering springs.

You spent all that money on the motor, can't imagine that an extra $350 will kill you. Call up strano and ask him.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

You know... he's right. All that money in the engine (which is not a knock on the engine, it's what you want), but then want to go cheaper on the shocks. Being that shocks are the single most critical parts of the suspension, and something that effects how the car drives and feels all the time, not just when you lay your foot on the floor like your 408.

The shocks are always working, anytime the car is in motion. Bumps, dips, when the body roll (like in corners), or even when the wind blows hard. They have so much to do with stability and ride quality...

AGX's are all about cheap. I sell them, but they are a pretty far #3 on the list to Bilstein's #2, and Koni's which are #1. Add the fact you are looking to put my springs on, and the springs were developed on Koni's--by me... and I have to say that's another good reason to look that way. I like to run a bit more front shock than the Bilstein's have to offer. Some folks stay with Bilstein based on cost and it's not a bad setup--but it doesn't work as well for as long either.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Launching!

god you guys are right. i spend all that money on the motor, then i will spring for the Koni's. Which one though, 4/3 or 4/4 i just want the car to have a small like super small raked stance. so if i can set the rear shock prior then thats fine, but what do you guys recommend, and of course what do you think sam.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

You can't go wrong with the Koni SA shocks, they'll work great with any springs you chose.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

The only difference between the two is that the 4/3's have an OFF car adjustable rear.

If you want to drag race, but still want it to corner well, I'd just go with the stock springs (save some money there), and do a lower perch/heater hose. This will allow for good weight transfer and still be comfortable/corner well.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The hose mod and koni lower perch with stock springs should give him the slight rake he says he's after as well.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:51 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DGageSS
god you guys are right. i spend all that money on the motor, then i will spring for the Koni's. Which one though, 4/3 or 4/4 i just want the car to have a small like super small raked stance. so if i can set the rear shock prior then thats fine, but what do you guys recommend, and of course what do you think sam.
the shock adjustments have nothing to do with ride height.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

A few points.

First, both the 4/3 and 4/4 sets of Koni's have a spring perch that moves to a second, lower positions. Some call that "adjustment", but that's very different from damping adjustment. Just thought I'd clear that up.

4/3 rears do have to be removed to adjust. But that's not the only difference. They also are 4 adjustment shocks. soft, 20, 50 and 100% stiffer than full soft.

4/4's are adjustable on the car.... but within the total range, there are no pre-sets. You don't have to pick between W,X,Y, and Z. You can get literally go anywhere between W and Z.

I recommend 4/4's over 4/3's because they are more flexible and easier to deal with. All the better to dial in the response and ride you prefer. 4/3's are very good, but they are $100 less and the reason is they are less adjustable and flexible and easy to deal with. Still great dampers.

And I'd say stock springs, run the lower perch in front to get the rake you want.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-26-2010, 12:02 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

I haven't tried mine, but does anybody know if you can unbolt the rear shock from the axle and reach up to adjust the 3rd gen rears without completely removing them from the car?
Old 02-26-2010, 12:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Trust me, it's a huge pain to do it--even if you can make it work. And frankly not worth standing on your head, and trying to think about everything backward/upside down when you could undo 2 more nuts and be done.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:32 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

thanks, good to know. what you're saying makes sense, I just thought I had read somewhere somebody did it that way. I agree with you, why make it harder trying to make it easier.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

It's not impossible........... But it's more trouble than it's worth. I always just take them off if I need to adjust a set of those. I've had customers try it from under the car, etc. You have a miserable time keeping the shock rod from turning (now you turn the body), and you have to turn the body opposite of the direction you would normally turn the rod. Folks have enough trouble with lefty-loosey things. More than a few of those people ended up stiffening the shocks when trying for softer and vice-versa.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:41 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

thanks.
always easier to get an experts advice first.

Quick Reply: Street Shocks/Struts and Springs for 408 Needed!