What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2000 nbm ws6

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 nbm ws6

I just came across this car at a local dealer. It is an a4 with 121k on it.
It looks to be in solid shape. I noticed a very small ding on the passenger rear quarter, and there is some oxidation on the wheels that would need to be cleaned up. They are advertising it as a true WS6, and it appears to be, but I noticed that the rear badge has been removed(I could still see some residue from it), yet in the photos for the listing it was there. I forgot to check the RPO code when I looked at it since I was in a hurry. The rear tires were also quite worn, but the guy said that he was just about to have it inspected since it was just traded in, and would replace them if needed. The car is bone stock, expect maybe a catback, but it was still pretty quiet if it was aftermarket.

Here is the listing:
http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/in...6&cardist=5502

Anyways, the dealer is asking $7995. Thoughts?
Also, any particular things to look for as far as telling if it's been beat on or not. I know that these cars may have piston slap, but I can't tell the difference between that and other similar noises. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Typical dealer BS (collector car, won't last long, etc...) so you will really need to get it checked out by a nearby mechanic or even a GM dealership. It might be the best $100 you ever spend to either BUY IT or AVOID IT. The asking price is too high for the mileage and eventual repairs. You know it will need something and that is why the pre-purchase inspection is so important. You don't want to have $10,000 into a 10 year old car with well over 100,000 miles on it. If the car checks out and all you need are tires and maybe some fluid changes, then offer $6500 cash and see where it leads. Don't forget to check the door panel and see if it is a real WS6. It will say WS6 on the options list sticker. Good luck!
Old 02-28-2010, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Typical dealer BS (collector car, won't last long, etc...) so you will really need to get it checked out by a nearby mechanic or even a GM dealership. It might be the best $100 you ever spend to either BUY IT or AVOID IT. The asking price is too high for the mileage and eventual repairs. You know it will need something and that is why the pre-purchase inspection is so important. You don't want to have $10,000 into a 10 year old car with well over 100,000 miles on it. If the car checks out and all you need are tires and maybe some fluid changes, then offer $6500 cash and see where it leads. Don't forget to check the door panel and see if it is a real WS6. It will say WS6 on the options list sticker. Good luck!
Yeah, the salesman hit me with a cheesy line right off the bat. He says, "any relation to the guy that was here last night? He is supposed to be back today to buy it." He hadn't even had the car cleaned up yet. I was thinking of offering $6-6500 cash as well. Are dealers usually easy to work with as far as getting the car inspected before purchase? I've never done that before. The car is in good enough shape at a glance to pay $6500 for, and being almost totally stock leads me to believe it is less likely to have been beat on. I had my buddy run a Carfax and it was clean, no accidents. I have to get back to him about how many owners it's had.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

It's a 3 owner car according to Carfax. I'm gonna be out of town this week, but when I get back I'm gonna take a closer look at it and if all is well I'll throw him an offer in the $6-6500 range.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

3 owners is a bit worrisome but not vital. Just raises more questions. The Carfax is good news but should be used as just a 'tool' in the overall process. It never tells the whole story. As far as your question, GOOD dealers will gladly let you have the car inspected. BAD dealers will frown and make noise about it. That will be an important part for you. Don't fall in love with this one car. Too many out there to choose from to fixate on just one. Again, good luck!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NC01TA
3 owners is a bit worrisome but not vital. Just raises more questions. The Carfax is good news but should be used as just a 'tool' in the overall process. It never tells the whole story. As far as your question, GOOD dealers will gladly let you have the car inspected. BAD dealers will frown and make noise about it. That will be an important part for you. Don't fall in love with this one car. Too many out there to choose from to fixate on just one. Again, good luck!
Thanks, I'll keep your input in mind

Quick Reply: 2000 nbm ws6