Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Broken Rear Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Rear Sway Bar

So I lifted my car up yesterday to swap out the slave and noticed my HOtchkis rear sway bar was broken in half about an inch inside the sway bar linkage. Jagged break, Any thoughts as to how this could have happened? Gotta contact them tomorrow and see about the warrenty, its 2 and a half years old.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:08 AM
12 Second Club

Had the same thing happen, very likely the bushing wasn't greased, and it seized up on the sway bar, so next bump you hit, all that weight snapped the bar. Make sure to regrease those bushing every once and a while, it has a fitting specifically for that.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

Now thats some crap. I guess the maintenance is a requirement, but that could have turned out ugly if you were out doing some performance driving.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Spydum
Had the same thing happen, very likely the bushing wasn't greased, and it seized up on the sway bar, so next bump you hit, all that weight snapped the bar. Make sure to regrease those bushing every once and a while, it has a fitting specifically for that.

I would think a seized endlink would break before the swaybar would. I've seen that happen on other cars.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Yeah... not for nothing, but a swaybar should not be breaking. If it did it had a flaw... I'm pretty picky about such things, and while one can't count out rust as a factor, I think more likely the bar material was just poor. The fact this has happened to others with the same bars, makes me think it was a batch of tubing that was bad.

I've never had to deal with that issue, and don't plan too.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-03-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had my front Hotchkis sway-bar replaced a few years ago(bent bar) and I had my sway-bar for 7yrs before that happened, but they still sent me a new front sway-bar and mounting brackets. Hotchkis will square you away!

Quick Reply: Broken Rear Sway Bar