Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Gutted cats... Done it? Heard it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:33 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gutted cats... Done it? Heard it?

Thinking about gutting my cats. Only found one vid on YouTube and it's at wot which doesn't sound to bad. Anyone else have first hand experience gutting or heard em at idle?
Old 03-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

its pretty much the same as having a straight piece of pipe but the greatly increased diameter of the cat gives it a nice sweet tone, i had 2 1/2 inch all straight pipe true duals with hollowed cats on my 88 chevy 1500 and it was loud as **** but a real deep tone, wasnt annoying like most trucks
Old 03-01-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i vote buy high flow cats or off road pipes.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cut em out.. as long as you don't have emissions to pass. The youtube link in my sig is my car with shorty headers,no cat, and a flowmaster. Hear it for yourself
Old 03-01-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Veteran

I vote offroad pipes.

I've heard gutting your cats will give you a hair less performance because of the way the exhaust scavenges in that bigger opening before squeezing back down into the smaller diameter again.

Who knows... that could be bull. Either way, i dont think there will be much if any sound difference and i know when i do mine, im going to cut em off and throw em to the side incase i ever want to go back to stock.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

I just had some test-pipes custom made for the V and took them off immediately as it sounded like crap to me.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by deedubb
I just had some test-pipes custom made for the V and took them off immediately as it sounded like crap to me.
You're running a muffler delete though which is straight piped from the headers back with the test pipes installed. That wouldn't have as nice of a tone as someone running a catback.

But hey, are those test pipes stainless? Welded in or bolted in? Wanna sell em if they are stainless?
Old 03-01-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

Yup. I need to get some mufflers and tips now then I'll try them again. Unless these pacesetter headers turn out to be nice then I'll just buy a set and sell my test pipes.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:54 AM
TECH Regular

I have a set of gutted stock cats if you are interested, located in houston. Took them off when I went to headers.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:19 AM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GulfM3
I have a set of gutted stock cats if you are interested, located in houston. Took them off when I went to headers.
how much u want for them?

Scavenging doesn't happen at our cats. If anything they are a restrictor. Scavenging efficiency is the advantage of going with headers. Me on the other hand can't stand spending 1200 for 10-15 rwhp. I had found an article a few months back on our manifold flow rates and header flow rates. Out manifolds flow pretty decent. Headers are about creating a negative pressure chamber to suck exhaust gasses out of you cylinder rather than ur piston pushing them out.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:59 AM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
I vote offroad pipes.

I've heard gutting your cats will give you a hair less performance because of the way the exhaust scavenges in that bigger opening before squeezing back down into the smaller diameter again.

Who knows... that could be bull. Either way, i dont think there will be much if any sound difference and i know when i do mine, im going to cut em off and throw em to the side incase i ever want to go back to stock.
I just re-read ur post. Were on the same page as far as scavenging goes... But cats are a restrictor rather than flow producer. I don't have smog checks in Waco so I really don't need them. But removing them would result in a fine... If caught. So gutting them is a cheap alternative for better flow. Optimum efficiency would require welding in a pipe inside... "thru pipe". I can always do that later on if I feel it is hurting me that bad performance wise.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here you go. http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...6aa429bc236a69

Don't gut your cats it will create turbulence in the exhaust and also reduce the scavanging effect as said above. Either run a straight pipe through them, get off road pipes, or weld in a pair of those "non-catalytic" convertors.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Banned

I dont think you will gain much HP if you gut the cats on the stock headers.

The LSx needs a set of long tubes to realy let things flow...

Get a set of long tubes and then offroad pipes...

If you on a budget I hear pacesetter has a set out for cheap, wait for some reviews.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Veteran

I think if i do away with my cats, ill just get some straight pipes welded in place for now. No need to go through the trouble of gutting the cats or trying to run a straight pipe through them. Noone ever looks under my car and i have an inspection hook-up anyway.

A little later, ill prob go with ceramic coated pacesetters unless i get lucky and find a used set of kooks. Just cant justify spending $1000 on headers right now.

Both headers(kooks and pacesetters) are LT's anyway so power increase will be the exact same. Only difference is maybe a little in the quality but i ran the ceramic pacesetter LT's and O/R Y-pipe on my reg cab 5.3 silverado i had and they were really nice for the money!! No issues out of them at all.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GulfM3
You wanna donate em?

If so, id pick them up and run a pipe through the middle just to have them as added security for inspection reasons but like i said in my last post... As long as my buddy keeps doing inspections, i dont have to worry about any of that.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

I have two 3" high flow cats sitting in my closet that I've never installed. I was thinking about using them one day, but I'd sell them if someone wants them. $100 plus shipping.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Id be all over them if i was planning to run cars. Emissions arent strict enough around here that we NEED them. Yes, we are supposed to have them but i run catless on all my cars and have never had any issues.

But someone will get a good deal thats looking for high flows!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:47 PM

I am interested in those high flow cats. Can you PM me the brand and specs on them? Thanks!
Old 03-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Launching!

I had gutted cats on my B&B headers. With a tune, I still passed MA's OBD-II emissions testing and got a 41hp gain along with a CAI and B&B catback...
Old 03-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

Also interested in those cats, please PM me with the info if manycars doesn't take them.

Quick Reply: Gutted cats... Done it? Heard it?