GM Ls6 intake on 241 2000 ls1

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM Ls6 intake on 241 2000 ls1

I saw this auction on ebay, and had some questions abuot it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Compl...Q5fAccessories

Item: This auction is for a never mounted/zero mile, complete GM LS6 intake manifold. This manifold includes gaskets, 28lb injectors, fuel rail, 75mm mechanical throttle body (98-99 f-body cam style), map sensor and mounting hardware. This intake would be a great performance replacement for your 1998-2002 Chevrolet Camaro, 1998-2002 Pontiac Firebird and 2004 Pontiac GTO. It will also fit 1999-2005 Holden LS1 cars.
To swap over your LS1 intake to this you will need the front coolant crossover tube and the rear coolant block off's, see our other auctions for those items. 1999-2000 F-bodys may require computer calibration because of the larger fuel injectors if equipped with the smaller injectors.
This intake manifld will fit GM OE cylinder casting numbers of 241, 243, 317, 399, 608, 706, 799, 853, 862 and any other after market cathedral port cylinder head.
This intake does not have provisions for an EGR valve that was used on 1998-2000 F-Body.

I have the 241 heads/block don't remember, but I know I have the ls1 intake. This intake comes with some additional items such as the (28lb injectors, fuel rail, 75mm mechanical throttle body (98-99 f-body cam style).. Do I need to waste the money on this stuff. Besdies the mods in sig. which are few, everything else is stock. Would this stuff be worth the upgrade or should I just buy the 'bare' ls6 intake? If I do go this way will I have to have a full dyno tune, or it will run like crap? Thanks for any assistnace.

Last edited by liquidsmooth; 03-04-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you could get the intake only, your fuel rails and TB will bolt right up to it. If you get the fuel rails and injectors you will want to get the car tuned for the injectors. Also, you will need to get a set of coolant pipes and plugs for the LS6 intake to swap when you change the intake. The factory LS1 coolant pipes run under the intake and won't clear with the LS6 intake. I think the coolant pipes and plugs are $58.99. Hope this helps.

Jon
Old 03-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Launching!

Thanks Jon.

Are those an actual upgrade from the parts I posess now? Would there be any power difference in going with just the 'bare' intake? I would perfer to go that way. They do have one other auction for just the fuel rails and bare intake - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-LS...Q5fAccessories. Could I just use my current setup, get the coolent tubes and use the same bolts and everything else I have right now? After this I was going to get my stock tb ported and maybe next year a cam with supporting mods and tune. Other than that, I wasn't going to do much else with the car. Where do you recommend I go from here? I definately don't want to have to pay for a tune twice.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get the bare intake and grind off the fins under the intake. Don't change the coolant lines. Do a search, this is a common upgrade for those of us that have the LS1 intake.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Launching!

If you havn't noticed, my mechanic skills are that of a caveman, and there won't be any grinding, hence I want my own advice, but thanks FST.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

O.K. so whoever does the install can knock off the fins, that seems to be the preferred method instead of changing the coolant lines. You won't need a tune but since you have shorty headers already, adding the LS6 manifold you might gain a few horses with a good tune.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah your bolts and everything will work. If you can get the bare intake and don't want to grind or knock the fins off, you will need the coolant cross over line for the front and plugs for the back like I mentioned before. We don't grind the break the fins off. At the point you are spending a couple hundred bucks, I think it is safer to spend $60 more and do it the right way. I would be pissed if someone did an install for me like that and broke my intake or ground a hole in it on accident. There are lots of people who do it that way but I don't like to take the chance. Just my opinion.

Jon