Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling engine. Have a problem. Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pulling engine. Have a problem. Need some advice.

Pulling it along with the a4 from the top. The reason the a4 is coming out with it too is because I couldn't get to the top three bolts. All I lack now is passenger side spark plugs, draining fluids, one ground wire, trans brace, and motor mount bolts.

My current problem is those spark plugs. There is 1 & 7/8 Kooks headers that is welded to the whole exhaust system f**hgjkahgv I have no idea why people do that to those headers. I unbolted them and left them to the side, in hopes of an easier installation. Now, the problem should be visual for ya. Can't pull the engine out the top with the spark plugs catching the headers. All I can think of doing is taking a hack saw to the headers and y pipe to have enough room to get the spark plugs out. Anyway around this?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

with the exhaust welded like that....i would quit ******* around with the spark plugs etc...and drop it out from the bottom. that way your exhaust, transmission etc all comes out with it, and will go in the same way.

if your dead set on pulling it thru the top, take a hammer and lightly bump the end of the plugs to break the porcelin off out of the way. then replace all the plugs obviously.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

that's what I'll do then, break em off. thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 07:21 AM
9 Second Club

If you pull the crossmember and drop the tail of the trans you can get at those top bolts. You will need a long extension and swivel.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I thought the engine still being bolted to the trans wouldn't get it any lower? I'm guessing not since you've probably done this a few times. Also the 10 o clock bolt I broke the socket the first try and the swivel on the second. Will it help me get to that one too, since it's so tight to the floorboard?