New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

really stupid valve cover question...n00b warning!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default really stupid valve cover question...n00b warning!

ok so i want to swap my valve covers from stock to a fabricated aluminum valve cover. the fab covers have the coil mounts on them, but only have one hole for an oil cap on only one cover, do i need a breather?

i noticed two tubes on the passenger side cover which i assume is a breather. so will i need a breather and do the stock valve covers have a baffle on them i can use so the oil doesn't soak the breather filter i may need?

thanks guys i know this is a stupid question, thanks for your time

Last edited by lsx85; 03-08-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:29 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need some kind of crank case ventilation. If you want to set the PCV up with the LS6 valley cover or put a breather on the oil cap. Either once can be made to work but I would definitely put something on it!

Jon
Old 03-09-2010, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

how do i set up the pcv with the ls6 valley cover?
Old 03-09-2010, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

The tubes on the valve covers are for the stock PCV system. You should have one tube on the rear driver's side and two on the passenger side covers. The two rears join together to go into your PCV valve which will then go into the intake manifold behind the TB to vent the preasure in the crank. There should also be another tube on the front of the passenger cover that will connect to the TB to pull in fresh air. If your covers have these tubes, then you can run your stock PCV system. Some plug the front tube on the pass cover and TB and then put a breather on the oil cap area to work as freash air source for the vent system. So it will draw in freash air from the breather, then circulate through the crank case, then be pulled out through the rear tubes off the covers to the PCV valve into the intake manifold to be recycled through the engine. Another thing some do is put a catch can inbetween the PCV valve and the intake manifold to catch the oil mist that also gets pulled through the PCV system to help keep the upper chamber from getting gunked up by the oil mist. Do a search for catch can setup and you will also find a drawn diagram of how the PCV system is setup.