Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Installed UUC shifter and bushings on my '05. WOW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed UUC shifter and bushings on my '05. WOW!!!

This is the shifter that this car should have come with. Aside from one of the torx bolts wanting to strip on the passenger side of the crossmember(wouldn't loosen at all, so I left it and just let it bend a bit), the installation was smooth. I was stubborn and tried to do it without dropping the exhaust, but after a bunch of fiberglass shavings in my arm and curse words from tring to get the drivers side clip out of the mounting bracket, I relented. The result is a world of difference. Now to get the rest of the squishiness out of the drivetrain... Does anybody make a one-pece driveshaft for the V1? I've been under my car a couple of times before, but I never noticed the fact that the driveshaft has RUBBER MOUNTS at both ends!
Old 03-09-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

Gforce is or was working on a one piece driveshaft for the V. Last I heard, they were hoping to release it this month but there hasn't been an update in a while.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:13 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Any shifter is better than stock!
Old 03-09-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah! Im going stock modded which feels better than any other shifter IMO and ill be replacing all my bushings on the entire car and motor mounts too asap.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Ironically when cleaning out my car today, I found one of the drilled out rivets I lost from my install last year. Definitely a night and day improvement.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Yeah! Im going stock modded which feels better than any other shifter IMO and ill be replacing all my bushings on the entire car and motor mounts too asap.
Where are ya'll getting the stock shifter modded? I've seen some pics floating around, but didn't know if it is from a vendor or what.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:57 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

The vendor on the other forum is 'PISNUOFF'.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1BADCTS
Where are ya'll getting the stock shifter modded? I've seen some pics floating around, but didn't know if it is from a vendor or what.
You can weld it yourself, or any exhaust shop would weld it for you for next to nothing.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:34 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

I don't trust the welding method in the long term (no, I don't have any data to support that and it's just an opinion) and I don't think the hole in the pipe is the exact same size as the originals, but to each his own. My method is pressing on a stainless steel extension, modifying the top half of the shifter for better feel and lowering the **** height. I also check to see if the bushings are worn out (many of them are and cause a ton of side to side play) and replace them with a redesigned version if they are.
Attached Thumbnails Installed UUC shifter and bushings on my '05. WOW!!!-modified-shifters.jpg  
Old 03-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Banned

I was looking at the shifter trying to see if raising the part that holds the pivot up was possible. But its realy not unless you cut some of the body and it just looked like more trouble then its worth

We cant realy have a real short shifter because of the place of the driveshaft and the coupler. unless someone totaly changed out the linkage setup .

Last edited by maxspeed96ct; 03-12-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raise the pivot point of the shifter, as the B&M does. It will make shifting notchier, but it will shorten the shifts. 07, perhaps in the future you can come up with a spacer that fits between the shifter mount with the 2 bolt holes, and the plate in the car, so the pivot point is raised a bit. Then you won't have an issue with the connection to the transmission arm hitting the arm.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:04 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Lubelizard - funny you mention that as I have one sitting in my shop now that is 1/4" thick. The large plastic hold down plate would have to be notched out in order to allow the pivot to raise up into the cabin. The only issue I've had with my shifter hitting the driveshaft is with one vehicle that had a UUC trans mount installed. The trans mount was removed and was measured to be 3/8" taller than the stock mount. This car also experienced driveling vibration that went away after putting the stock mount back in. Ironically, my shifter has just about 3/8" of clearance to the driveshaft coupling when the trans mount is the stock height.

If anyone wants to use the spacer to get MUCH shorter shifts I'll install a longer insert on the bottom portion of the shifter and lower the top portion 1". This would still lower the **** height about 3/8" from stock.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
I don't trust the welding method in the long term (no, I don't have any data to support that and it's just an opinion) and I don't think the hole in the pipe is the exact same size as the originals, but to each his own. My method is pressing on a stainless steel extension, modifying the top half of the shifter for better feel and lowering the **** height. I also check to see if the bushings are worn out (many of them are and cause a ton of side to side play) and replace them with a redesigned version if they are.
No way is my piece coming apart, there are two full welds running the length of the pipe.
I'll give you props for replacing the bushings and lowering the **** height, I'm curious as to how you do that. Plus yours looks nicer.

My way was very cheap I'm happy with the result.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:56 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

GulfM3 - I sent you a PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by GulfM3
You can weld it yourself, or any exhaust shop would weld it for you for next to nothing.

Bumping an old thread... I recently did the same thing for my brother's '05 CTS-V. His shifter had tons of play in it and made the car horrible to drive. I figured the bushings were probably shot, and since we'd have to pull the thing apart to get to the bushings, we might as well upgrade the shifter while we were at it. Since the car was 400mi away from me, and I wanted to have a shifter ready to go when I went home to visit family, I picked up a spare shifter off eBay and had it modified.

Like GulfM3 did, I picked up a short 1/2" steel pipe nipple at Lowe's, cut it down to the same width as the shifter bushing location, and then had it welded (I can't weld myself). The Midas I went to knows me, as I bring them all sorts of wheels and race tires to mount, so they were pretty intrigued by what I was doing. They didn't charge me anything, but I gave a $20 tip to the guy who actually did the welding since he stopped what he was working on to take care of me.

Before slapping some paint on it:

Painted and compared to the stock shifter:

As you can see in that second picture, I used a die to put threads on the short shifter. The reason for that was to install a red leather Holden **** I had picked up on eBay Australia. (My brother's V is red.) The shift lever is 14.7mm in diameter, so I had to grind it down a bit (to 14.3mm) to put 9/16" threads on it. It was admittedly crude, but I figured for a non-critical joint like a shift **** it would be just fine.

You can kind of also see the pretty white bushings in the bottom of the shifter. Those are delrin bushings I picked up from PISNUOFF over on cadillacforums. I actually don't think the stock bushings in that joint were in that bad a shape, but I didn't know that ahead of time, so getting the bushings from PISNUOFF was the smart way to go to be fully prepared.

I also picked up UUC poly shifter bushings from Luke @ Lindsay. That was definitely necessary, as the stock bushings were absolutely shot - I didn't get any pics, but others have posted pictures of their shredded shifter bushings before, so nothing new there. I think those torn up bushings were probably the source of most of the play.

You can see how big a difference it made in the stroke of the shifter (both pictures taken with the car in 3rd gear):

The stock shifter setup was even worse than the picture makes it seem. With the play in the bushings, your fingers would nearly touch the A/C, particularly when you shifted to 5th. When you let pressure off the lever, it would relax back to the position you see in the picture.

The end result is that my brother says the setup is 1000x better than it was before. It was so bad that he had stopped enjoying the car, so I was very happy to be able to get it back where it should be.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
The vendor on the other forum is 'PISNUOFF'.
I like how brian was trying to go stealth, haha
Old 06-11-2011, 08:28 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

AAIIIC - Looks nice.

wcryan - That was kinda funny. It was a long time ago.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Launching!

Pat, now come do mine!

Looks good!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

I test drove a number of stock shifter cars before buying mine with the UUC. And all I can say is if this car didnt have it installed and I didnt know how much better it was... I wouldnt have gotten a CTS-V. Thats how bad i hated the stock shifter. Coming from japanese cars which are normally much more direct and smoother feeling.... the UUC makes it feel like it SHOULD in a sports sedan.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Bumping an old thread... I recently did the same thing for my brother's '05 CTS-V. His shifter had tons of play in it and made the car horrible to drive. I figured the bushings were probably shot, and since we'd have to pull the thing apart to get to the bushings, we might as well upgrade the shifter while we were at it. Since the car was 400mi away from me, and I wanted to have a shifter ready to go when I went home to visit family, I picked up a spare shifter off eBay and had it modified.

Like GulfM3 did, I picked up a short 1/2" steel pipe nipple at Lowe's, cut it down to the same width as the shifter bushing location, and then had it welded (I can't weld myself). The Midas I went to knows me, as I bring them all sorts of wheels and race tires to mount, so they were pretty intrigued by what I was doing. They didn't charge me anything, but I gave a $20 tip to the guy who actually did the welding since he stopped what he was working on to take care of me.

Before slapping some paint on it:

Painted and compared to the stock shifter:

As you can see in that second picture, I used a die to put threads on the short shifter. The reason for that was to install a red leather Holden **** I had picked up on eBay Australia. (My brother's V is red.) The shift lever is 14.7mm in diameter, so I had to grind it down a bit (to 14.3mm) to put 9/16" threads on it. It was admittedly crude, but I figured for a non-critical joint like a shift **** it would be just fine.

You can kind of also see the pretty white bushings in the bottom of the shifter. Those are delrin bushings I picked up from PISNUOFF over on cadillacforums. I actually don't think the stock bushings in that joint were in that bad a shape, but I didn't know that ahead of time, so getting the bushings from PISNUOFF was the smart way to go to be fully prepared.

I also picked up UUC poly shifter bushings from Luke @ Lindsay. That was definitely necessary, as the stock bushings were absolutely shot - I didn't get any pics, but others have posted pictures of their shredded shifter bushings before, so nothing new there. I think those torn up bushings were probably the source of most of the play.

You can see how big a difference it made in the stroke of the shifter (both pictures taken with the car in 3rd gear):

The stock shifter setup was even worse than the picture makes it seem. With the play in the bushings, your fingers would nearly touch the A/C, particularly when you shifted to 5th. When you let pressure off the lever, it would relax back to the position you see in the picture.

The end result is that my brother says the setup is 1000x better than it was before. It was so bad that he had stopped enjoying the car, so I was very happy to be able to get it back where it should be.

sorry i just got my cts-v so im still learning...why did you guys weld that piece of pipe under the stock hole? (was it just to get a shorter shift through, or does it actaully clean up some shift slop?) could i just make a poly or steel sleeve to fit inside my stock hole and put on a good SS bolt and lock nut?

Quick Reply: Installed UUC shifter and bushings on my '05. WOW!!!