Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bad News..or Good...depends?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 01:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post Bad News..or Good...depends?

Hey ya'll,

Well, for those of you who know me and our Police Narcotics Interdiction Z28, I have a short and sad little story.

On December 18 at approx. 6:20 PM our LG Motorsports equipped Z28 Camaro was on duty and attempting to stop a violator. Patrol unit was Eastbound on a state highway and was going after a vehicle traveling westbound when an unlicensed and uninsured driver thought that he would pass the police unit (on a double solid line) rather than await the patrol car to turn. The result...."Ka Boom"

K9 went flying into the dash and right side door, my neck snapped sideways and my legs got smushed a bit, but the big loss; Driver's side door, drivers side front fender, front left upper and lower A-Arms, spring, strut, strut tower brace, wheel, spindle, etc. all bent up and pushed forward.

This was the 7th time the Z had been on the road since being completed for patrol use. Car had been given lots of mods courtesy of Lou and the gang @ LG Motorsports, iRotors, Carbotech, Wolfe Racecraft and SLP...and I was hoping to go and visit Thunder Racing in January to install the cam and get the LS1 edit done.

Car had to be towed to the body shop where it now awaits the insurance guru's to see if it can be fixed.

Anyway, I haven't been on the board for a couple of weeks as I have been busy worrying about them fixing the car. I posted this in this section because most of you here know me and I know Lou reads here everyday.

So, if you are or even if you are not a law enforcement supporter, mourn the loss (at a young age) of one fine LS1 machine.

Ya'll be safe,

K9 Kev
Old 12-31-2003, 01:39 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that sucks. Good luck with the car.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:26 AM
roy
TECH Resident

hope the dog is alright
Old 12-31-2003, 06:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, Kev. Sorry to hear that.
Good luck!

Maybe we can come over and scavenge some parts before the insurance company takes it away?
Old 12-31-2003, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

How's the dog? Glad you're safe. What did you guys do to the dumbass that caused the crash?
Old 12-31-2003, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

I'll let ya'll know what happens with the insurance as soon as somebody gets to it. We are getting the, "Well, it's the holidays and were pretty backlogged" story...same story for the past 2 weeks!

That's the painful part...the waiting game. If she's gonna be a loss I will definately be pulling everything off the car. I guess then I'll be shopping the car section here looking for a replacement.

Ironically, some non-informed person said to me the day after the wreck, " What's the big deal, you can just get another one" Obviously not a F-Body person.

As for the driver of the other car...No Dl, No insurance, Exp. MVR, Fail to maintain single lane, Fail to control speed, Pass where prohibited, and...Follow too close. Not that any of that will bring back the car!

Brando is alright, pulled a muscle in his right front leg and cut his upper lip open. He's just bored sitting at home right now.

Thanks for eveyone's concern about him though.

K9 Kev
Old 12-31-2003, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by K9Kev
As for the driver of the other car...No Dl, No insurance, Exp. MVR, Fail to maintain single lane, Fail to control speed, Pass where prohibited, and...Follow too close.K9 Kev

I think Darwin missed....

Glad to hear that you and your partner survived with minimal injuries, that is outstanding news. Keep us posted.

Last edited by trackbird; 12-31-2003 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-01-2004, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

/ Threadjacking /
Thanks for eveyone's concern about him though.
Alot of people think that a K9 unit is just a dog the police use for various tasks, which is simply not the case. Any K9 unit is a law enforcement officer, maybe he looks and (hopefully) smells different than a human officer, but when a dog goes down, an officer goes down, and that is never good.

I saw a man kill a K9 unit on some cops-esque show on TV a while back, they told him if he shot at an officer, they would return fire, he shot the dog, they lodged a couple in his heart.

Good to hear he's ok. It only takes money to replace the car.
Old 01-01-2004, 02:40 AM
Launching!

Glad to hear that you and Brando are alright, sorry about the car.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

That's an absolute shame
Glad you & K9 are in pretty good shape though, that's a great start.
Did the perp go to jail? Should have, that was RIDICULOUSLY STOOOPID of the person!

Keep the fingers crossed on the car, you never know, maybe it can be saved!

Keep up posted?
Old 01-03-2004, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to hear about your loss, do you have any pictures of the Camaro before the accident? Every time i see a HWY Patrol Z28 i always give em a little rev and the thumbs up !
Thanks for doing what you do by the way.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

Good News,
The insurance guy says the car can be saved !! Going to need some front suspension parts, a fender, a door, and of course paint....but it's going to be fixed. Only 34K on the car so it would have been a shame to loose it.
Maybe now I can figure out a way to get tubular upper and lower front a arms??
Body shop feloow said the factory parts are like 210.00 each for the upper and the same for the lower...I figure I might be able to find both left and right for the same amount as just the top or bottom.....Anyone?

Kev
Old 01-04-2004, 11:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Glad you and the dog made it out ok, also glad the car can be salvaged. Its kinda cool knowing there is a patrol car that is modded,, It would be really cool for you to chase down somebody in a porsche or a vette with it.

What all mods are done to it now? What did you have planned besides the cam and tuning?
Old 01-05-2004, 12:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by K9Kev
Good News,
The insurance guy says the car can be saved !! Going to need some front suspension parts, a fender, a door, and of course paint....but it's going to be fixed. Only 34K on the car so it would have been a shame to loose it.
Maybe now I can figure out a way to get tubular upper and lower front a arms??
Body shop feloow said the factory parts are like 210.00 each for the upper and the same for the lower...I figure I might be able to find both left and right for the same amount as just the top or bottom.....Anyone?

Kev
Congrats! Very cool.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Alright Kevin ... You, the partner and the car will ride once again ...

$850 for upper/lowers sounds about right for those parts. You might find them cheaper, but not by much.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Mike,
What all mods are done to it now? What did you have planned besides the cam and tuning?[/QUOTE]

Right now we have:

Free Ram Air mod, smooth bellows, TSP lid, Dynomouth 3 inch exh. to custom turn downs (looks like a six from behind cause ya can't see the twin hidden tips) Wolfe Weld in 4 point, Wolfe Weld in SFC's, SLP STB, SLP 2002 SS Wheels, LG Motorsports LCA's, Panhard bar, Torque Arm, Front and Rear Sway bars (Springs soon...G2 stuff is the best!) iRotors front slotted disks, rear drilled and slotted, Carbotech 'Bobcat' Hi Perf brake pads. Car has 275/40/ZR's on all four corners....gonna go to 285's next tire rotation.

Future Plans: FTRA system, Thunder 224/112 Cam, Long Tubes, Hi Flow Cats, LS1 Edit, 13 inch rotor upgrade....and whatever else I can convince the Chief to let me do.

As it stands now, we have had most of the above mentioned parts donated to the car. The City has been great in their support of the car, and we are using the car as a test bed for the sponsors. Heck, if these parts can live on this car with 150 MPH runs 20-30 times a day....the mods will work on other folks cars too.

The city council has promised to send out letters to all the folks who help out on the car proclaiming their support of the initiative, just takes time to get things passed by government.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad Brando is alright! He was wearing his seatbelt right?
Old 01-06-2004, 06:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by skippytheloon
Glad Brando is alright! He was wearing his seatbelt right?
Click it or Ticket, right?
Old 01-06-2004, 09:00 AM
Launching!

Good to hear that the 3 of you are doing better Let's see some pics of the car before and afters if you have them.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Glad to hear you and Brando are ok... Good luck rebuilding the camaro...

Also, was that a B4C from the factory or just a Z? I love seeing the B4C's in action!

Quick Reply: Bad News..or Good...depends?