Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

pacesetter install delay due to charging system issue!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pacesetter install delay due to charging system issue!!!

So battery keeps dying! at first I was getting a battery light when at idle and it would go away when accelerating. then after a few days I got a battery not charging message on my monitor. So i took the battery in to get tested it shot bad, got a new one, same problem within 15 min at idle. so then I bought a new alternator then I got 11.9 volts constant until my battery died. Took both off again and took to get checked and they both tested good....a week later...two batteries...new alternator...now looking for broken wire/ground somewhere between the two???? I should just take it in to the stealership but I've already invested too much time to let them handle it. Any suggestions?? im gettin tired of pulling alternators!! plus i have pacesetters to install!!! I think the pacestters are bad luck as on monday i got a flat and had to buy new tires aswell!! (should of gone with kooks)lol
Old 03-11-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u should have 14v if ur alt is working. either a bad/broken wire somewhere or just crap alt. check all connections and fuses
Old 03-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A new altenator & battery and 11.9 volts??
Wow . . it would appear that the battery was not properly prepped. A new battery, fully charged will read 13.2 Volts. Each cell is 2.2 v.
As far as the altenator . . . probably the brush hold-back pin was never removed during assembly of the altenator, so the brushes were never riding on the slip rings, hence, no charge condition. I hope your parts replacement store said, 'no charge' when you return it.
You might want to check/trace that altenator 'wire connector' & wire with an ohm meter. So, you will need to disconnect your Neg. cable to your battery 1st. While you're at it, check your engine to body/chassis grounds too.
This post has nothing in it about headers . . . geez
good luck