Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

12 Volt Ignition source

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 01:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 12 Volt Ignition source

Anyone know where I can find a place to tap in to get a 12 volt ignition source for my new dash guages? Prefer under the dash some where. Apparently I am currently tapped into a 12 volt hot source and it's draining my battery. It's on a 2002 WS-6. Thanks. Also words are good but pictures are better.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS-6_2002
Anyone know where I can find a place to tap in to get a 12 volt ignition source for my new dash guages? Prefer under the dash some where. Apparently I am currently tapped into a 12 volt hot source and it's draining my battery. It's on a 2002 WS-6. Thanks. Also words are good but pictures are better.
I'm about 99% the 12 gauge pink wire under the dash is a switched 12V source.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:32 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The best place is to use the ports in the fuse panel that are designated by GM for aftermarket accessories. There are three of them - BATT provides constant (battery) power, IGN provides ignition switched power, and ACCY provides switched power plus keeps the circuit alive after shutting off the ignition until a door is opened (Retained Accessory Power like the radio and windows).

The ports are single pole flat quick disconnect like one leg of a plastic ATO/ATC fuse. The circuits are 15 amps each so you should add a smaller inline fuse to your wiring if 15 amps is too much.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the fuse panel on the side of the dash right? do you plug it in from behind the panel?

That's what I was looking to do (since I did it in my Integra) but my searches didn't come up w/ anything.

Everyone said, "Use the pink wire that runs under the steering column"

To the OP, yes the 12V ignition comes right from the ignition harness, there are two 14-10ga pink wires, that run right under the steering column when you take off the kick panel. They come off the exact same port in the harness.

I just peeled back the pink skin twisted my gauge wire around it and soldered, covered w/ tape.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:19 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, the fuse panel on the left end of the dash.

No, you have to connect from the front of the panel if you want to be able to unplug it. From the back you would have to splice into the wires.

Remove the bolt holding the fuse panel to the dash so that you can swivel it out of the way then pull your wire from behind the dash around to the front of the fuse panel. Once you have your wire pulled through you can put the fuse panel back in position, reinstall the bolt, and plug the wire into your selected port.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

How do you plug them in if there are fuses? Do you know which number to plug them into? All the fuse ports are numbered. Also How do you know what fuse to use? I don't know much about amps. The most I know about elec is it the volts match up.I'm hooking up autometer colbalt guages. 9 of them. I want all to run off the ign switch battery. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

How do you plug them in if there are fuses?
Put a common "quick disconnect" terminal on the end of the wire and just plug it into the port. There are no fuses in those ports - they are protected by other fuses in the system.

Do you know which number to plug them into? All the fuse ports are numbered.
The ports are labeled.

Also How do you know what fuse to use? I don't know much about amps. The most I know about elec is it the volts match up.I'm hooking up autometer colbalt guages. 9 of them. I want all to run off the ign switch battery. Thanks for the help.
The fuse you use depends on the size (gauge) and length of wire you're using. Fuses protect against too much current flowing through a wire causing it to heat up and melt, possibly causing a fire. The idea is to use a fuse large enough to allow sufficient current to power your accessory but small enough to blow before damaging the wire if there's a short or other electrical problem.

The instructions for your gauges should tell you what size fuse to use. If not, you can check the size of the fuse that came with them. If you have to add more length to the power wire, make sure you use wire that is at least as large as the one you're connecting.

Quick Reply: 12 Volt Ignition source