Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Buffing with Bonnets

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Buffing with Bonnets

Hey everyone. I recently got my first buffer which is an orbital so not to burn anything. I am one of those who like to get it right the 1st time. I will be practicing on a few cars that will be ok if I mess up. But anyways my question is for those who use the Orbital type buffers, what type of method do you like and why.

I got this buffer, its cheap but light and has a 10" surface area which has been remarked to make it faster and easier to do multiple coats.

http://www.amazon.com/Titan-22610-10...=pd_sim_auto_2

I was given a few packs of Bonnets which will fit, but most internet resources revolved around the smaller diameter foam pads and based on my research, no one offers anything in foam above 7-8"

So going from there what bonnets do I used at a given point.

Applying
Buffing
Polish
Removal

I use sources like Autotopia and Autogeek.net which are great but again are based largly on the Foam Pad method.

Any insight and possibly references are appreciated.

Also looking for good products to use with Bonnets.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:33 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bump.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not familiar w/ that orbital.. so I can't really tell u what to get...but I rarely use a bonnet on my orbital and when I do it's strictly for applying carnauba wax or paint sealants.. Most of the time I like applying those things by hand though and that is why I choose carnaubas that don't haze up as fast. For compounds and what not you should be using foam pads. I use LCs or Lake Country's foam pads and they have specific pads for different degrees of compounds. What I suggest is for you to invest in M105 and M205..they are both Meguiars products and instead of going through a three stage compounding it's made so you can achieve the same results using two compounds instead. A lot of newbies use this and stick w/ it (like me)...and why not...same results...less time .. HELL YEAH! But what's important is that you do practice on multiple cars before putting it on your gemstone so you can feel out when to use and when not to use it. I'm not sure how fast your orbital is or what's it's recommended lbs of force applied is and **** like that so I can't really tell you when you are going to burn your paint, so just watch some youtube videos and learn grasshopper. I also joined an auto detailing forum to ask those who've been in game what to do. You think LS1tech has eye candy wait until you sign up for one of those... it's strictly eye candy.