Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Problem with steering wheel controlls

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem with steering wheel controlls

Well i bought a trans am a couple months ago, and the guy said that the controls on the steering wheel worked with the aftermarket head unit that was in the car. He said they only worked when the car was in drive for some reason. So i get in the car only to find that they don't work at all, i took the center console out of the car and there is some infrared control box thing under there with a long wire and a led looking thing at the end of it. I am assuming this is a transmitter for the stw cont? Does anyone know how to program it to work i have no clue.. And the lights for the buttons on the sw don't seem to work either. THere is also quite the spaghetti pile of wires and fuses back there some of witch are hooked up to other wires and some that go to a mysterious toggle switch i found in the glove box, and others that go to god only knows where. They dont look like factory wires maybe i should just stuff them all back and be happy it works at all!
Old 03-19-2010, 07:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The infrared control box you found is a PAC SWI-X steering wheel control adapter. It is kind of a universal adapter to make factory steering wheel switches work with almost any aftermarket head unit that has an infrared remote. Programming instructions can be found on their website here.