Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

96 z Security light comes on solid..vats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 96 z Security light comes on solid..vats?

1996 Z26 go to start it and the fuel pump primes. Then the security light comes on and stays lit for a few min.

I thought it was VATS system. Tried to bypass. My key is a 14 so I need 9530 ohm of resistance to do the bypass. Soldered two 4.7kohm resistors together and the car does the same thing.

Do I need to use two 470k resistors or two 4.7k resistors?

I used this site and the LS1Tech thread about it. Anyone have other ideas as whats wrong or what I could do?

Old 03-19-2010, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You soldered them in series, right?
Old 03-19-2010, 06:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spartan7
You soldered them in series, right?
In order, correct. Soldered one end to the end of the other end. It should be making the correct loop.

Are the resistors I used correct?
Old 03-19-2010, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Step 1. Forget anything you know.
Step 2. Test your key. Don't rely on a chart or other references. Your key is the key.
Step 3. Build a resistance network as close as you can to the value of your key as you can. Use a multimeter to test the newly constructed resistance network.
Step 4. Install the tested resistance network.

You should be good to go.

If you need; "I need 9530 ohm of resistance"

9530/2=4765 => 4.765k

When you install the resistance be sure to close the circuit with the piece you made. Don't install it on one line only. Hmmm... If there are two white wires going up to the key cylinder, cut the wires and install the resistance across these wires. If you only put the resistance in line with one wire you are adding 9530 ohms to the keys' value and the circuit is still not correct.

If this is not working you may need to check your key cylinder. I'm sure there is a quality write up with pictures on this site or check Google.

Good luck.