Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford? sorry about using the f word dont punish me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford? sorry about using the f word dont punish me!!!

ok so, I know this is a good info source and I got tons of info for my 5.3 swap into my 84 silverado, but I am getting some work done to the transmission and the guys at the shop liked it so much that one of the guys already bought a 5.3 combo for his old chevy , bu the other guy has a 65 ford pick up and is now wanting to do a 4.6 or 5.4 swap, and I agreed to help with the harness,,,(I turn the oem harness into stand alone on my swap) but I been trying to search and it seems like there is not a lot of info about this ford swaps? any body have any suggestions. or should I just keep trying to talk him into a GM power house lol oh and SORRY about throwing the F*rd word around here

just wondering how hard it could be to turn his harness into stand alone compare to the gm harnesses?
Old 03-19-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I know it can be done (seen it) but my largest problem with Ford wiring is lack of accurate (key word) diagrams and aftermarket harness support. Ford harnesses change colors for various reasons that aren't or may not be initially apparent when staring at a wiring diagram.

Problem #2 is unlike GM, the Ford computers I have seen are inside the car which means more wires are integrated into the vehicle harness. The entire GM engine harness in most cars unplugs from the car without issue and the PCM is in the engine bay. This makes the GM engines nearly stand alone by design.

In simple terms you give 12V to both orange wires, 12V switched power to all the pink, any wire that is black or black with a white stripe is probably a ground, add 60PSI of fuel, remove anti theft and you are going down the road... Ford is a bit more complicated.

But it CAN be done. I swear I saw someone selling harnesses a long time ago but I can't remember where.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is support for the Ford engines. Lots of guys dropping Mod motors into early Mustangs even though it's a tight fit. Those motors would fill up a truck engine bay real nice. Check out Ford Racing or any of the Mustang high performance magazines or web sites. I love LS engines but a Mod motor in an old Ford truck would be great. How about transfering everything from a crashed late model F150 including wiring, fuel system, interior, AC, etc? Don't forget that a 2003 or newer Crown Vic front crossmember with rack and pinion steering bolts right into those trucks!