Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help with some mod/exhaust choices

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 12:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with some mod/exhaust choices

Well, I had some nice plans for my '99 T/A, but now I've got a baby boy on the way, so Im cutting back some. I've finally decided Im not going to go all out trying for the best quarter mile, the car is mostly going to be a semi-daily driver.

First things first, I want to fix the sadly lacking sound this car makes, so any suggestions? I'm still looking for power and performance, but sound is going to be as big a factor for me. I'm not wanting to spend too much, since I cant justify much at the moment, but I also don't want to swap out stock with something I want to replace again in just 3-6 months. I dont have much experience mechanics in general (I'm working on that though), so treat me like a real noob here

Now, I would like some suggestions as to what to do for future mods for a mostly street car that will only see the occasional casual trip to the strip. Power is always nice, but I think I would really like to make sure it is the best handling car as well.

Sorry for any babbling, its 1am, Im at work for another 8 hours, and I haven't slept in far too long

EDIT: Forgot to add, the car is bone stock, sitting at 19k miles, bought in nov with 15k miles, so its a good clean slate for me to work with.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you're not worried about having the best stuff, nor the maximum horsepower.....pacesetter long tubes, tsp y pipe, magnaflow/hooker catback, and tune.

If you wanted more hp....kooks/qtp headers, custom y pipe with a flowmaster merge, cutout, catback of your choice, tune.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Teching In

My car is in shop at the moment so i took the liberty to take my mac midlengt headers to get ceramic coated i bought some borla cat back an cant wait to get it back an install my self at the moment it has flowmaster no cat will take vid befor an after to let you hear my ride o by the way getting a new ram cluch put in aslo
Old 03-21-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here is what a flowmaster merge and a big diameter catback sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_1gW9dtAdY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwZt9...eature=related

idk if you are that serious about making power though, this is not exactlly a cheap set up.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My first exhaust mod was a manual cutut welded into the i-pipe, noise when I want it but stock-quiet the rest of the time. It made a diffference in my ET, too. It sounds ok at idle and pretty good at WOT but part-throttle cruising can get annoying with the droning.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:16 PM
Teching In

hey man at least your having a boy thats exciting lol... as far as mods go i would say get some pacesetter LT's with a TSP ORY and a rumbler cat back, an slp flowpac, nd get your throttle body ported
Old 03-21-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Regular

How about some Lpp headers into Texas speed True Duals. Great for scaring women and children, and cheaper then headers,y,and cat-back. Plus it makes a little more power. After that get your self a tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPmcbnZnkF0