Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

tips on how you guy's clean your 17" painted aluminum 10 spokes

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tips on how you guy's clean your 17" painted aluminum 10 spokes

Just seeing if anybody has some tips on cleaning these damn things. Don't get me wrong, I love them to death. But I usually spend at least an hour and a half cleaning the damn things. I use Simple Green Automotive spray(don't want to use anything harsh) and two rags; one to get the thick stuff off, and one to take the rest off. I still don't think they look that great when I'm done. I know to stay away from the spray on rinse off crap. Once a month I take the whole wheel off and get the inside of the wheel, which gets caked like crazy after a week anyway. Please share your woes with me.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

I have the same problem with mine. I am looking to get rid of mine because I am so tired of cleaning them. It takes me longer to do my wheels than the entire car and they still don't like that good. There are too many little crevices and the center caps suck to clean.

I just use meguiars gold class soap and a wash mitt. The inside of my wheels are filthy, but then again it is winter time and no shows.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

IMO you can clean them all day & night and they still won't look very good. All the crevices on those wheels is very annoying when cleaning. If you use simple green on them you should wax them after you wash them. That will make them look a little better and be a little easier to clean next time, especially the backside of the rims.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Good info as I got a set of these for my 91 RS. I think I'll clean them really good and waxed them before they go on the car.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

Using Simple Green actually isn't a very good idea. It tends to eat up the clear coat on the wheels. When I had 10 Spokes, I normally used a sponge with water when I washed my wheels. Inbetween washings I would just use a damp towel to clean my wheels off, and that worked great and only took about 10 minutes.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bad Blu Formula
Using Simple Green actually isn't a very good idea. It tends to eat up the clear coat on the wheels. When I had 10 Spokes, I normally used a sponge with water when I washed my wheels. Inbetween washings I would just use a damp towel to clean my wheels off, and that worked great and only took about 10 minutes.
That's pretty much what I do too.

Soap and water, a mild brush and some elbow grease! Keep 'em nice and clean for me!

I take mine off about every 6 months for a complete cleaning!

Quick Reply: tips on how you guy's clean your 17" painted aluminum 10 spokes