General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fans Stopped Working

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fans Stopped Working

Both of my fans stopped working yesterday for no apparent reason. Took the relays out and and tested with a multimeter and they seem to be working fine. Also, all fuses related to the fans are good. I tested all contacts in the fuse block with a test light and they all seem to be working fine...I'm completely at a loss right now. Oh and I dont understand the wiring diagram for these fans (things wired in series and parrallel?). They worked the day before, now theyre not working..Any ideas.......?
Old 03-20-2010, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are wired in series when on low speed, and then they switch to parallel for high speed.

Did you check for power and ground right at the fan connector?
Old 03-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by eseibel67
They are wired in series when on low speed, and then they switch to parallel for high speed.

Did you check for power and ground right at the fan connector?
Well I just used a test light and theres no power @ the fan connectors but I "jumped" the fans from the battery and they both work...
Old 03-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Oh, and another thing, I did a search before I posted anything and someone had posted that they checked for continuity on the relay terminals and it showed that it was fine but the relays ended up actually being bad so would buying new relays be a good idea or just a waste of money?
Old 03-20-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are 3 relays in the system. Because neither high or low speed fans work, I would suspect relay 3 is the dud becuase it's the only one of the 3 relays that play a part in both speeds.