Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HELP with Harlan Shift Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default HELP with Harlan Shift Light

I installed my Harlan shift light today. I love it, but thats besides the point of this post. The light is working flawlessly, but my stock tach is tempremental (sp). Sometimes it will work normally (ie RPMs rise as I accelerate), but other times it doesn't work at all (ie RPMs remain at zero regardless of my acceleration). I used a wire tap to tap into the tach wire and butt connectors to connect the shift light to the wires. I grounded to a screw that already had a ground on it. I got power by wrapping the wire around the 15 amp RADIO fuse in the bottom right corner of the interior fuse box. I just wrapped it around and plugged the fuse back in. Please help me here. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did it do this before or was this something that started once you installed the shift light. If it was doing it before, have you taken your gauge cluster apart? Sometimes the glass can get pushed too close and the needle touches it and wont move. If not, I would check the wiring. It is quite possible that you got the shift light wire connected fine, but the wire you tapped off of may now be not fully connected, so at times it would work and other times it would not.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This problem just started after installing the shift light.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably sheered the wire with the tap, (ie too much clamp force applied).

easy to do if you dont realize how little force it takes,or if you go about it off-centered.

Take off the tap, go buy another, fix the damage or just solder all 3 ends together whatever meets your skill level.