Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

tie rod replacement how to needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 01:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tie rod replacement how to needed

I hope this is the right place to post this. My car has 170,000 miles on it and I have never replaced the inner and outer tie rods. I have done alot of work on my car but never replaced these on any car. A shop wanted over $300.00 to do just the outer ones. Any write ups on exactly how to change them out? Also is Moog the best ones to get or can I just go to Orielly's and get some?
Old 03-21-2010, 01:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a castle nut, take it off. Then take two wrenches at the nut of the tie rod, twist opposite directions, now that it's loosend, Pry the tie rod off the assembly, usally pretty easy on the ones I've done and then just twist off.

Mark where the nut was located on the threads w/ a marker so you won't lose your alignment, do this before you loosen it.

This is just off the top of my head, to give you an idea, don't think it's word for word, step for step. It's pretty damn easy dude.

Look what I found, this should give you a better idea;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ428hwJn38

I would just get the factory suspension pieces.

Last edited by Torque Fiend; 03-21-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:15 AM
TECH Regular

thanks for the pm and help. Looks pretty easy.

Ed
Old 03-21-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

The inner is a whole different story from the outer. You will have to remove the boots on each end of the rack. Inside that is where you can remove the inner tie rod. Im not sure what the factory uses to lock them down, manufactures you different methods. I havn't ever done inner tie rods on my car so im not sure as to if you need an actual inner tie rod tool for them or not.