Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

front speakers blown? or just monsoon screwup??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front speakers blown? or just monsoon screwup??

hey, i have a 99 camaro 3800 v6. i put in new speaker in the side panels and all i get is base out of them. is this right??

my problem. today i was installing new front door speakers and they seem to be blown. how do you tell if they are blown?? also i tried i think everything but if u have suggestions let me know please. the monsoon speaker in the front door panel had 2 pairs of 2 waires going to them. each pair containing a red and a black pair. i cut these off the speaker to put in my new ones.once i did if i turn the speakers loud at all, they sound very bad. sounds like a rattling. i then hooked the two reds and two negatives from the second pair of wires to the pos/neg on my new speaker. now they sound very bad, maybe blown. how did all you other members go about hooking up your system?? do i have a wiring mistake or are they blown?? im putting in 6 1/2 x 9 sony xplod's. i already have a new deck.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

one pair is highs, one is lows, you should have used tweets (low power) and mid's (low power rms) instead of a single speaker unless you can find one that supports both.

Suggest: set the 6.5" to the lows, and put a tweeter on the highs to get that back.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:10 PM
Teching In

^^^^ can you elaborate on that a little more please?
Old 01-02-2004, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

okay i just went through this. my 00 z28 had two wires, one is crossed over for highs, one is for lows.

The stock 6.5" speaker is two separate wired speakers in one. a mid and a tweet.

Most speakers you buy are not done this way. They are like coaxial with one input.

So you are best hooking up a mid woofer to the low and putting a small tweeter on the highs, or you'll have to pick.

I'm going to add a small tweeter to the high's when i get a chance as the fronts sound muddie with the alpine 6.5" running off the mids compared to stock.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:50 PM
Teching In

how do you tell which one is mid and high's? also where would you suggest to hook the tweeter to?

and are my speakers blown now?
Old 01-02-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

well lets see if you put regular two way coaxial speak on the low channel it will be muddy as it should be, if you put one on the high crossover you'll get mostly highs.

Oddly i've always got spare speakers laying around from the years of car ownership.

i dont know if your speaker is blown? Does it rattle and sound like ***?
Old 01-02-2004, 11:44 PM
Teching In

yeah, haha. it sounds like ****. it rattles bad