General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Seafoam/Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Seafoam/Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner question

I saw the write-up on using Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner on LSX engines and I have a question. It may be a stupid question but a question nonetheless.

I noticed that it said "put the transmission in low gear (mine is auto) and bring the engine up to 4500 RPM. I am NOT sure that is a good idea because it will turn the HEAT on inside the transmission and I don't like the idea of revving a 120,000+ mile engine up that high for any length of time on a car that is my DD.

My question is, would it be OK if I just drove it spiritedly in OD instead of burning up the transmission with it in manual low and revving the crap out of the engine for 15+ seconds?
Old 03-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ArkBird96
I saw the write-up on using Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner on LSX engines and I have a question. It may be a stupid question but a question nonetheless.

I noticed that it said "put the transmission in low gear (mine is auto) and bring the engine up to 4500 RPM. I am NOT sure that is a good idea because it will turn the HEAT on inside the transmission and I don't like the idea of revving a 120,000+ mile engine up that high for any length of time on a car that is my DD.

My question is, would it be OK if I just drove it spiritedly in OD instead of burning up the transmission with it in manual low and revving the crap out of the engine for 15+ seconds?
Where does it say to do that....thats ridiculous.

Go drive it until it gets to operating temp, then pull it into the driveway and let it idle. Pop the hood and put it in. Then turn the engine off right when you see/feel the can of MCCC start to run out, thats important. Don't let it run out, then run over and turn it off. Have a friend there with you to turn it off for you. Then let it sit for 4 hours.

Thats it.

I suggest you search here, you'll find my write up or someones write up on exactly how to do it.

OH....Seafoam is complete crap for cleaning a top end. Only use MCCC or another "foaming" type of cleaner.

Look through this thread...........it shows you everything.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...highlight=mccc

Last edited by LS6427; 03-24-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

It says to do this after you let it sit and you drive it again. Here it is

6. **Drive the vehicle to fully warm up the engine.

7. If the vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission, place the gear selector into L, if the vehicle is equipped with a manual transmission, place the transmission into first gear.

8. On a suitable road that will allow the vehicle to be driven safely at the posted speed limit, accelerate the vehicle until the engine reaches 4500 rpm.

9. Hold the engine speed at this rpm for 15 seconds.

10. Slow down and pull to the side of the road, then allow the engine to idle for five seconds.

11. Repeat Steps 7 through 10 two more times.**
That is what I was talking about. After you put the MCCC in the engine and it sits, when you drive it again.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ArkBird96
It says to do this after you let it sit and you drive it again. Here it is

That is what I was talking about. After you put the MCCC in the engine and it sits, when you drive it again.
After it sits just let it idle for about 15 minutes. Then go for a very casual drive for about 15 minutes. NO WOT yet. Then slowly accelerate to about 50mph, then do it again to about 60, then 80. If everything is perfectly smooth with the engine, no misfires or hesitation...do a WOT run. Your done.

MCCC has to write some procedure on the can, thats what they chose. Just do what I wrote, its what everyone does, and it works.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Regular

OK. That's what I thought. Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: Seafoam/Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner question