Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Destroyed my Map Lights while trying to install LEDs...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Destroyed my Map Lights while trying to install LEDs...

I have changed out the interior lights on all 6 of my previous cars. Not all were fbodys - each one was vastly different. Anyway, this thing gave me the BIGGEST headache i've ever been through. What seemed like a simple fix has left me soakin' wet with sweat, tired, agitated, and frusterated. I popped out the old bulb and it seemed like one of the two little gold "clamps" that the bulb pops into came loose. This happened on both sides. I tried to use the new LED bulb to hold the clamp in place, and just let it float there. This resulted in the lights flickering, and coming on/off when i tapped the mirror. I then tried to push the clamp back where it goes, but i guess I jarred it completely loose and now neither bulb will light up when connected. I did this all while the mirror was on, because I was afraid of breaking it if i tried to remove it. Any suggestions on how to fix? Or am I just gonna have to buy a new rear view mirror?
Old 03-26-2010, 05:53 PM
FormerVendor

Pull the LEDs out and squeeze the gold tabs so when you put the LED back in, it will be nice and snug. At this point, just get that done and oriented well enough to angle the LED where they need to point...downward and you should be fine.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya know, this same thing happened to me.. its like the fittings that hold the bulbs come loose.. my passenger side was fine, but the drivers side had one tab come loose like that. I basically finagled it into place so that when i tapped it relatively lightly it might move but not flicker or become un-stuck.

i havent had any issues with them turning off or flickering, but theres a tiny bit of light produced constantly (so when i go to the garage at night i can just barely see some light coming through)
Old 03-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BLSolutions
Pull the LEDs out and squeeze the gold tabs so when you put the LED back in, it will be nice and snug. At this point, just get that done and oriented well enough to angle the LED where they need to point...downward and you should be fine.
I tried this, and had the gold tabs very snug against the LEDs but as I originally stated NOTHING came on at this point - i think because the gold tabs themselves came out of place they lost connection completely...
Old 03-27-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try taking the mirror off the windshield and opening it up.

the fuzzy stuff inside of mine melted and turned into gunk.

once i opened the mirror up and cleaned the inside (and cracked the mirror!), the LEDs worked like a charm.

Hope this helps.

oh ya, once you open the mirror up, you'll be able to get the tabs back into place very easily.

just be careful getting the mirror off the windshield. it doesn't need much force at all to come off.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jdoyle
try taking the mirror off the windshield and opening it up.

the fuzzy stuff inside of mine melted and turned into gunk.

once i opened the mirror up and cleaned the inside (and cracked the mirror!), the LEDs worked like a charm.

Hope this helps.
I am having this problem right now. Both of the brass colored clips in each map light are loose and not attached to anything. I guess the time and the heat of the stock map light bulbs has melted away the black fuzzy stuff which is now gunk. I want to remove the rearview mirror so that I can fix the brass clips the right way so that they don't just float around in the mirror. Unsecured clips make it difficult to angle the bulb so that the LED light goes where it should.

Does Anyone know how or have a DIY to remove the rearview mirror on a 2000 Camaro SS so that I can fix and secure the brass clips in the mirror?? Any help is appreciated.

Quick Reply: Destroyed my Map Lights while trying to install LEDs...