Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

No brake lights on passenger side.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default No brake lights on passenger side.

I have a strange issue where I have no brake lights on the passenger side of my Firehawk. The lights light up in the "low" level when I turn the headlights on, but when I press the brake, they don`t switch to the "high" level (sorry for the non-technical description). The driver`s side is working fine though. I took the two lamps from the drivers side, which is working fine, and put them in the passenger side and I get the same results so it is not the bulbs. There is no obvious cuts or breaks in the wires right behind the tailights. The only thing I can think of is a wire is broken somewhere along the path, but I wanted to make sure with you guys to see if it is something simpler before I trace all these wires. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Old 03-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 328 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawk312
There is no obvious cuts or breaks in the wires right behind the tailights. The only thing I can think of is a wire is broken somewhere along the path
Yep. The bulbs are dual filament. That gives you the low/high effect. You must have one of the wires out or cut somewhere.

If you trace the dark green wire back through the car, you should find your issue. (The brown wire is your good one and controls the filament that comes on with the headlights.)
Old 03-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
Yep. The bulbs are dual filament. That gives you the low/high effect. You must have one of the wires out or cut somewhere.

If you trace the dark green wire back through the car, you should find your issue. (The brown wire is your good one and controls the filament that comes on with the headlights.)
Ahhh thanks! That will give me a good start. I wasnt sure which wire to trace, or how this is all wired up, and it`s hard to find any documentation on it outside of a hayne`s manual.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 328 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawk312
Ahhh thanks! That will give me a good start. I wasnt sure which wire to trace, or how this is all wired up, and it`s hard to find any documentation on it outside of a hayne`s manual.
Yea - that's why I go with the GM Factory Service manuals. They have full schematics of all the electrical.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you ever figure this out? I am having the same problem, but with my drivers side. For a couple of years, the problem has come and gone. Sometimes the ds brake lights would work, and sometimes they wouldn't. Now it has quit completely. I need to get this figured out.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Had this problem years back and it was the turn signal switch. Not the lever, but the switch behind the steering wheel, wiring runs down to near the brake switch. I bought an AC Delco part for about 40 bux new. Hope this helps.