Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My belt keeps moving???

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My belt keeps moving???

I have an 02 ss with a 6 speed....My question is why my belt keeps coming about halfway off the tensioner pulley and the power steering pulley...happens every couple weeks...the belt appears fine and only comes off those 2 pulleys...any ideas?
Old 03-31-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by huggmess
I have an 02 ss with a 6 speed....My question is why my belt keeps coming about halfway off the tensioner pulley and the power steering pulley...happens every couple weeks...the belt appears fine and only comes off those 2 pulleys...any ideas?
Usually the problem is the tensioner is weak, mine was doing that and I put a high wall pulley on the tensioner which slightly increased the tension on the belt and helped keep the belt on by keeping it between the walls of the pulley instead being open like the stock one.

You can get the high wall pulley at your local parts store, its a Gates 38009 pulley or which ever brand crossed over. I had to remove the slightest amount of material from the back of the pulley because it rubbed the tensioner arm just very very little.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cause your belts are wore out and stretched so much the tensioner can't take up the slack for it any more. Go to Advance Auto and get you a Gatorback belt. That belt won't jump off or stretch as bad as others. Make sure the nonadjusting tensioner pully isn't worn out. You can get a good look at the pully/belt alignment while the engine is running from the side and see if it is all lined up. And if your a 6 speed take it easy on the downshifting. You can over rev the engine very quickly and fling a belt off.

Last edited by NC98Z; 03-31-2010 at 03:24 PM.

Quick Reply: My belt keeps moving???