Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Free mod: Helping gear whine

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Free mod: Helping gear whine

So yeah my 12 bolt sounds like a bunch of kids yelling in my ear so here is a free fix that helps get rid of a lot of noise. It's pretty simple, just get a couple T shirts, a towel or some sound deader. Take off the top part of the console and stuff the shirts around the shifter. Try and fill up all the space and fill the void between the shifter and tranny(like that space between the left of the shifter and carpet in first pic). It's so much quieter now and the whine doesn't try to fight the radio.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im alittle confused. The 12 Bolt is whinning but you stuffed a bunch of rags around the shifter? I think that is borderline Joe Dirtish....
Old 04-04-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah thats really confusing. Why don't you just replace the lower shift boot and fix it the right way
Old 04-04-2010, 06:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 12-bolt whine comes from the back of the car, like it should. Why yours comes through the console I don't know.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't know the lower shift boot was broken until I popped the upper console off today. Since the boot wasn't there, that's where most of the whine was coming from because it's just exposed to the ground. Also the noise is going to travel up the torque arm. I really don't care enough to do it the right way, it only bothers me when my mom because she won't let me drive with the windows down or radio on. Idk why she does that, I know what I would rather choose.

I use to wrap a jacket around the shifter and it would help a lot so I figured I would just stuff shirts in there. It definitely helped, it's about half as loud as it was. Take your upper shift boot off and you will see how much louder it gets.

It's not going cost or hurt anything to do this so whatever. it helped my car a lot. Also who ever had my car before had the same idea and stuffed rolled up duct tape in there, you should see all the **** I pulled out.

How much is a lower shift boot and where could I find one? If it's cheap I might as well get it.