General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bearing life

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bearing life

Ive been chasing down squeals on the car for as long as I can remember, but this is not just a "whats my squeal?" thread. Im curious if the bearings in the power steering pump, alternator, water pump, and pulleys can be replaced/rebuilt. Is there any maintenance I can do to them other than a good re-greasing?

Ive replaced the main drive belt, removed the AC belt, removed dust shields from pulleys, re-packed pulleys with grease, replaced water pump, replaced the alternator and still the car squeals (1-2 months after new part, something else starts). It was quiet a few months after the new alternator but after the first night of pouring rain its squealed ever since. Alternator bracket issue?

Can the PS pump and alternator pulleys be removed and repaired, or examined at least, relatively easily if they are responsible? Reason I ask is because the alternator is brand new and the PS pump has zero leak issues or anything else.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PS and alternator bearings can be replaced...IF you can find them. There isn't anything to grease in the case of the PS bearings, they are lubed by the PS fluid. Alt bearings are sealed.

Regreasing isn't a cure all for the idlers. Once they start to make squealing noises, all the fresh grease does is slightly delay the inevitable, but the damage has already been done.

First thing I'd try here is a bit of belt dressing. Next would be replacing the idlers with new ones.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

start the car make sure it is squealing. spray pb blaster on the belt. if the noise goes away, you need a new belt. if it is still there, I would check the tensioner. pull on the belt, make sure the tensioner stays straight and doesnt skew off toward the front or back of the car. then take the belt off and spin the bearings. there is no maintnance to do on your pulleys and are not meant to be taken apart and greased... although you can with the idler... you can also use a stethascope to track the noise with the belt on and the car running, or you can put a screwdriver on the part and put it to your ear, or even a rubber hose. If something is dried out, it will start to squeek. sounds like crummy luck. or youve been chasing the idler noise, and as said above prolonged the inevitable. it shouldnt be much money, but get a quality part from napa or the dealer so your not replacing it again in a few months.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98pontiac
start the car make sure it is squealing. spray pb blaster on the belt. if the noise goes away, you need a new belt. if it is still there, I would check the tensioner. pull on the belt, make sure the tensioner stays straight and doesnt skew off toward the front or back of the car. then take the belt off and spin the bearings. there is no maintnance to do on your pulleys and are not meant to be taken apart and greased... although you can with the idler... you can also use a stethascope to track the noise with the belt on and the car running, or you can put a screwdriver on the part and put it to your ear, or even a rubber hose. If something is dried out, it will start to squeek. sounds like crummy luck. or youve been chasing the idler noise, and as said above prolonged the inevitable. it shouldnt be much money, but get a quality part from napa or the dealer so your not replacing it again in a few months.
x2 I had to pull the serpentine belt off and spin the bearings by hand to find where my bad bearing was.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the input guys, the noise itself has changed so much in the last 3 days I dont know what to think. It was loud at idle and would fade out with higher RPM, 2 days later its almost silent at idle and gets louder as the RPMs rise. The noise used to be louder when cold, now its louder when the car is hot.

I cant imagine needing a new belt, I just bought this one but it is a NAPA part after all lol. Goin out to mess with the car now
Old 04-07-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

PB blaster on the belt worked like a charm, I guess the word is "worked" but now I need to know where I can buy a belt that wont go bad in a month

Since the brand new belt went bad in such a short time, do I have other issues causing the belt to go bad so fast? or did I just get a bad egg?

Part numbers for decent serp belts?

Quick Reply: Bearing life