Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

how to stop wheel studs from twisting

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question how to stop wheel studs from twisting

every time i go to the track, my wheel studs 'twist' so they are cocked at an angle and it makes it a bitch to get the lugs on and off.

i keep straightening them back by using an old lug nut to 'pull' them straight again, but it keeps happening.

i'm using moser axles (which came with my 12-bolt), ARP press in studs, stock lugs on stock wheels, tightened to stock torque specs (100ft-lbs). tires are MT DR's, but i dont really make that much power (354rwhp) or have super low 60's (1.7's).

what do i do to stop this from happening? longer lugs? tighten them down more? or are my studs junk and i need a new set? i just hope the holes in the axles aren't f'd up from this happening.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there cocking then chances are the holes are jacked. If someone used an impact gun on them to pull them through than chances are the splines on the studs acted like a drill bit and screwed the axle holes up.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah if they have done it more then once the holes are probably messed up. You can either swap axles or have a machine shop drill them out and put in bigger studs
Old 04-11-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well this blows. somehow i knew thats what you were all going to say... which of course is not the answer i wanted to hear

they've done it since day 1. i swapped out the stock moser studs for the ARP's before the rear end was even installed in the car. the axle shop that pressed on the axle bearings and reluctor rings are the ones that pressed the studs in. they actually just installed the studs with a ball peen hammer and not the press... which of course i questioned as to if they were going to seat properly, and they were like 'oh yeah, we do it like that all the time'