Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Steering Column Lock Service......

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Steering Column Lock Service......

As you might see I just bought the Corvette 2 weeks and 1 day ago. And the steering column locked up today and will not let go.

I took the battery to Autozone to see if it was that. And the battery was low, and wasn't the correct size for a Vette, but it didn't fix the problem. I work at 6am so calling the dealership as soon as they open at 7am. Hope to get this fixed asap.

Any idea how long the dealership will have my car?

P.J.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wow, that sucks. I just had an issue like that but my 2000 FRC was just suffering from low voltage due to storage and caused a false code. I charged the battery up, and disconnected. After reconnecting it the issue was gone.

Sounds like you may have a bit more going on. Your BODY CONTROL MODULE may have actually caused the solenoid to lock the column. There were RECALLS by gm on this issue. It involved a simple download to update the car, or a replacement of the module. If you go to Corvette Forum and look at the stickies there is one completely about the service column lock issues and suggestions to fix. Theres also supposed to be a way to bypass the function completely.

This may sound dumb, but did you try working the steering wheel at all after installing the new battery? Maybe that sucker reset itself and you can get her going. When you start the vehicle does the display show SERVICE STEERING COLUMN LOCK ?? Disconnecting the battery is supposed to eliminate the stored codes. ?????

Best of luck. Hopefully the stealership doesn't rape you on the bill. They told me a minimum of 500 bucks, worst case scenario of 2000 !! Thank god I got lucky, hopefully you do too.

Last edited by allngn_c5; 04-14-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Well even after the battery was changed, it still had the Service Stering Lock thingy. And I called the dealership and my car had never had the recall done on it, so with the price of tow, it will be fixed within 48 hours, and the seatbelts are getting replaced also.

P.J.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

You may have lucked out. Never serviced under the recall, sweet. So for the cost of a tow on a flatbed you get er done?!!?!

Sounds good.

Disconnecting the battery would only reset the code until the system test was done and failed twice, and then the code would come back on. That test is performed twice within a few seconds as soon as the key is turned fwd. Or so I was told by an SAE Master Tech. Thats why it goes away and comes right back. On a false code due to low voltage, theres not enough juice to complete the test. Again the explanation I got. So a fully charged battery will supply the voltage needed and verify if its a real code or not.

Anyways glad you got her solved. Be safe.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

So with the roadside assistance that I have through my cell phone provider, the tow only cost me $7. So I gave the guy $10 and he was happy.

Got a call from the dealership within 15 minutes telling me that my car had made it, and that my service advisor had personally watched the car unloaded and put into a bay to make sure that the car wasn't damaged in any way. I was blown away with that. I didn't expect a dealership to do that. But, they are the biggest Chevy dealership in the nation.

Then as I was walking into my night class I got a call again from my advisor, so about 2 hours and 15 minutes from the first call. He was calling to inform me before he went home. He was letting me know that the Vette would have the Column fixed by the end of the day, and that the seatbelts would be done in the morning. I was speechless. I didn't think a dealership was capable of this. Its awesome.

P.J.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pjmayher
So with the roadside assistance that I have through my cell phone provider, the tow only cost me $7. So I gave the guy $10 and he was happy.

Got a call from the dealership within 15 minutes telling me that my car had made it, and that my service advisor had personally watched the car unloaded and put into a bay to make sure that the car wasn't damaged in any way. I was blown away with that. I didn't expect a dealership to do that. But, they are the biggest Chevy dealership in the nation.

Then as I was walking into my night class I got a call again from my advisor, so about 2 hours and 15 minutes from the first call. He was calling to inform me before he went home. He was letting me know that the Vette would have the Column fixed by the end of the day, and that the seatbelts would be done in the morning. I was speechless. I didn't think a dealership was capable of this. Its awesome.

P.J.
Sounds like a decent dealer. Those are pretty hard to come by these days.

Quick Reply: Steering Column Lock Service......