Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Brake conversion on non ABS car. OXYMORON?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Big Brake conversion on non ABS car. OXYMORON?

I am real close to doing my brake conversion on my 71 but im now wondering will it really do me any good. The ABS systems on the newer vehicles such as z06's c6 etc. etc. optimize and allow the bigger multi piston calipers to perform as they do. Something tells me however installing a 6 piston caliper on the front of my car without abs will be like putting a big red shiny e-brake on it. All tire screaching and no stop. Would this conversion wind up being all looks and minimal function.

Forgive me if im wrong.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

What is the intended goal and use of the car?

Andrew
Old 04-19-2010, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You have a good point. But as any modification and setup..

It comes down to how well you tune the setup (front/rear blance, correct master pressure, etc), your suspension setup and the grip of the tires before breaking loose. If you can get it all working.. Then it is more than just looks.

But if your just expecting to throw them on with parts that are not designed to work together.. yeah.. then it just becomes big brakes and a lot of Bing ! They could be locking up, spinning you aroud in 180's (and a few other things) and can be come dangerous in emergency and panic stop situations..

There are many articals on the web that talks about problems and tuning brake system, do some more resarch..
Old 04-19-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A larger pad to rotor surface, combined with greater mechanical advantage of the larger diameter rotor add up to giving you more control at that ever-so-important threshold of tire adhesion... i.e. with bigger brakes you have the ability to work the brakes at that point where your tire can supply the most grip to the road. With smaller brakes, you don't have the resolution to keep things there... you just transition from not enough to way too much when you jam the pedal, which causes your tires to lock up and skid. The bigger brakes give you a lot more control through that range, provided everything is set up properly.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

I have the Baer Track kit (one of the first ones made) on my Camaro and I can't lock the tires up, it just stops faster the more pressure you put on ithe pedal. Keep in mind that this is in the dry, wet is a totally different story.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Paul Huryk
I have the Baer Track kit (one of the first ones made) on my Camaro and I can't lock the tires up, it just stops faster the more pressure you put on ithe pedal. Keep in mind that this is in the dry, wet is a totally different story.
Ok that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I hope its true.

Quick Reply: Big Brake conversion on non ABS car. OXYMORON?