Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a/c compressor

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c compressor

My a/c compressor sounds like death right now. It sounds like it is coming from the pulley. Are there bearings in there or does it work like a centrifigal clutch system or something? Trying to consider cheapest option possible as I use my a/c about once a year. I know I can take the belt off or remove the a/c completely, or replace the compressor, but I would rather keep it as easy and cheap as possible. Any suggestions? Oh yeah, If I turn the defroster on, the sound goes away which makes me think there is some type of clutch system in there where it engages when the defroster is on. Is there a way to rebuild this?

Last edited by blkstkss; 04-23-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just removed my AC(compressor, brackets, belt, condensor and lines) If you use it once a year I don't see what the point of even having it is. You can remove the belt so you don't have to hear it or just take it all out and save some weight. Not sure if the car is a daily, mine isn't and I never used my AC anyway.