General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

battery or alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery or alternator?

Hi all I have had my 02z for about 3 weeks and the first 2 the volt guage stayed a little below the line between 13 and 18 and wouldnt move. A few days ago when going out at night when letting off gas at slow speed the lights dimmed briefly.This happened at slow speed and not all the time and when it did happen the volt guage would dip down to 13. When I check the battery (optima red top) first thing in the morning it reads 12.15 . There are times when volt gauge will drop to 13 after letting off throttle and rpms are dropping. When checking with volt meter readings at start up 14.2 readings with all acc on sometimes are 13.9 and other times are fluctuates between 12.5 and 13.7 with cooling fan off when fan comes on fluctuates between 13.5 and 13.7 There is no problem with car starting right up and drove most of the way home from work with no problem and guage dropped twice a couple blocks from home. Anybody expierence this problem or have any ideas if this is the battery or alt car has 30500 miles. TIA
Old 04-25-2010, 10:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do a charging system test and see how your alt is responding (autozone...)
most likely it will be the excitor wire connection.