Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

98 Firebird Rear (hatch) Speaker replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 04:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Firebird Rear (hatch) Speaker replacement?

Hi, any suggestions or help would be appreciated. I just remove the 4" stock speakers in the rear hatch and I am looking to replace them. I was going to keep the tweeters and replace the 4" with 5" or 6" from best buy.

Could I replace the 4" with 6" and cut the panel to accommodate the larger speaker?

If so, could the 6" speaker be purchased with a combined tweeter to replace the stock pulled tweeter?

I am obviously not a stereo genius.

Last question. When i removed the rear panel to remove the speakers, the panel opposite the spare tire had an extra, unused wire with a black, maybe 7 pin connector. Anyone seen this? What is the connector for?
Old 04-27-2010, 07:40 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

First, why would you want larger speakers way in the back? You're just going to move the sound stage farther back and make your car sound like the 70s when speakers were mounted in tha rear parcel shelf. Those hatch speakers are for rear fill only - they should not dominate the sound.

Second, components (even the somewhat cheap factory ones) will almost always sound better than coaxials. Coaxials are a compromise designed to fit where components won't - they are not an "upgrade".

If the factory 4" mids were blown then there are a number of good aftermarket 4" speakers you can replace them with. Otherwise, you might be best to just leave the factory speakers - there are much better ways to upgrade your sound.

The harness attached to the left hatch speaker wires is for the optional factory CD changer.

Quick Reply: 98 Firebird Rear (hatch) Speaker replacement?