General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C and Heater both blow outside air temp

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C and Heater both blow outside air temp

Hey guys,

When I turn on my air, whether heat or A/C, I get the same temp, and it's usually roughly the same as outside. I'm flushing my radiator this weekend, as it looks like it needs it, but besides that, does anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong?

I drive a 2000 Firebird v6, and can certainly provide more information if it's relevant.

Thanks!

Jess
Old 04-27-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

For no heat, you probably have a plugged heater core. Just flushing the engine may not clean it out...you might have to disconnect it and put a hose directly to it.

No A/C = no refrigerant, assuming there aren't any mechanical issues with the compressor.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While it's more likely that your problem is stated above, I like to tell people that this is a good time to check all your vacuum lines as they can be dry rotted or just plain worked themselves off and no longer connected.
The whole Heat/AC system relies on valves and flaps to redirect airflow and coolant to the heater core, and these all run on vacuum from the engine.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:19 PM

Got my shop to run a refrigerant leak detection, looks like the Compressor is shot. Has anyone replaced their Compressor and Accumulator? How big is this job? Any ideas on where to get cheaper parts?
Old 05-04-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

It's not a big job, but you'll need the shop to put a vacuum on it and recharge it in order to do it properly after you get the new parts on.
Figure $300 or better for parts no matter where they come from if new.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your coolant level as well. Your no-heat issue might be due to low coolant. Also, check the fuse that controls the heat/air blend (not sure which one it runs through) and make sure it isn't blown. It could just be that when you turn your **** to hot or cold it isn't working b/c the fuse is blown and it's stuck in one position.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
It could just be that when you turn your **** to hot or cold it isn't working b/c the fuse is blown and it's stuck in one position.
The doors in the heater box are vacuum controlled, no fuse involved. The fuse is for the compressor.
If coolant was that low, the engine would overheat.