Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Thinking about having my LE stripes painted on

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about having my LE stripes painted on

I really don't like vinyl and unfortunately the entire stripe set is vinyl. I know it came from the factory that way, I just thought it would look much better painted.

Anyone have any suggestions as to who could do it? I would assume it would be hard but I'm not a painter lol.

I also want to put a clear bra on it. I dont want to get a rock chip and have a hole in the stripes.

Here's a front shot just for reference if you aren't familiar with LE's.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love those cars! I would really, really have to trust whoever was going to take that job on.

-SS
Old 04-29-2010, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by hotrodscrap
I love those cars! I would really, really have to trust whoever was going to take that job on.

-SS
Haha I know what you mean. That's why I'm assuming I need a serious professional LOL.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a hole in the stripe??

I would not do it if i were you,,, why dont you like the vinyl?? You could have your car recleared even over the vinyl stripes,,, ppl do it over bandit car decals, some say the vinyl shrinks and moves different then paint and will crack but ive never seen this happen yet to ppl who clear over pin stripes.

And useing a clear bra??? can you please just send me the car so I can enjoy it,,, do you put clear plastic over your couch too??
Old 05-11-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless your vinyl stripes are damaged, I would heavily recommend you not do this. Getting a satisfactory gradient on the checkered flag portions from a painter would be hit or miss. At worst you'll get somebody who really thinks they have skill and they'll get creative and fade the gradient throughout and it'll look like a complete mess.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought about doing the samething as well. But I steered away from it because #1: paint is expensive and #2: I really, really don't believe that anybody could replicate the checkered pattern in the stripes as good as they came from the factory even though I could be wrong. I'm having to get my bumper repainted sometime this week and I called to the local Chevy dealership and for the the stripes on just the bumper they told me around $150, luckily my neighbor is in the vinyl stripe business

Quick Reply: Thinking about having my LE stripes painted on