Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon Amp

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Monsoon Amp

What are the rules for replacing one of these? Can I use a T/A amp in my Camaro for replacement, or does it have to be another Camaro amp? I believe year doesn't matter, as just the advertised rating changed.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

This is covered (sort of) in the Monsoon FAQ sticky but perhaps a little clarification is in order. You must use a Monsoon amp from the same model car (Camaro or Firebird) because they are different internally. The are both eight-channel amps but they use the channels differently (e.g. dual voice coil subs in Firebird versus single voice coil in Camaro), the rated impedance for each channel is different, and the signal is filtered differently.

Any Monsoon amp from 97 through 02 will plug in and work but the early models (all of 97 and part of 98) were physically smaller and produced less power so you might want to stick to something from a 99 and newer.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perfect. Looked at the sticky, but this little bit wasn't in there. Might be a good addition. Thanks.