Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rearend Problem Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rearend Problem Need Help

Hey to make a long story short my camaro had no power to the wheels. A guy told me my transmission was bad, so i put it up on stands, put it in drive, and my driveshaft IS spinning, speedo reads about 15mph, but the tires are free spinnable. This leads me to beleive my rearend is the culprit. Are there any checks I can do to confirm? Common sense says if the driveshaft starts spinnin in D and the wheels dont, and i hear clanking, its the rearend.

Heres my second question, my car is rhino tuned (hes a tuner on here) if I change to 3.xx gears from my 2.73s its tuned for, could i drive it 150miles to get it retuned for the new gears? What other affordable options do I have for changing the rearend ratio that wont mess up my full custom tune. Mods are in sig.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Many years ago I had a guy call me who wanted to drive his f body to us to have us check out the 10 bolt rear end. He said it had a leak and he wanted us to check it out. Later that day he called me to say he made it from Indy to Anderson and the car quit moving forward. To make a long story short, when we pulled the cover off the rear, we found all the teeth missing on the ring gear, and guess what? The rear had completely run out of gear oil, there wasn't a drop in there. I'm glad we pulled the cover off the rear while it was still outside on our rollback, as the smell was so bad it stunk up the neighborhood.
If your pinion seal has been leaking (common with the 10 bolt) for some time, and you see oil slung all over the bottom of the chassis, you may have the same problem. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-07-2010, 06:22 PM
11 Second Club

# 2
yes ok
Old 05-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Launching!

I tore into the diff cover, the axles look fine, when I spun the carrier arouund, I noticed cracking and damage in the actual differential side gears. The ring and pinion had a perfect wear pattern and no missing teeth. Leading me to beleive my differential is broken and instead of sending power to the wheels it just spins. Fired car up and put it in drive on stands with diff cover/tires off. Everything was going fine just no power went to wheels. Stuck finger in the little holes in the housing where you can touch axles. both spin fine when you spin the axles out at the wheel studs.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

from the mods in your sig,you're pushing a lot more power thru it. 10 bolts have a hard time with stock horsepower. What type of carrier are you looking to for replacement ?