Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

failing tru-trac, safe for street?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default failing tru-trac, safe for street?

my tru-trac is clunking in parking lots... is it safe to drive on the street, or could it do something crazy like totally lock up on me?

the symptom is that after making a tight parking lot turn and i get going straight again, i get a loud clunk noise and sometimes can also feel it pop. it doesnt seem to do this when making normal street turns.

this is on a moser 12-bolt which i just had the gears replaced in because i broke 3 teeth at the track.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

To date, I have not heard of one locking up. I suppose you could be the first...
It's a tough call. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-10-2010, 03:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If a Truetrac is clunking you have problems. Do not drive it until you can disassemble and inspect what is going on.

Jeff
Old 05-12-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jawsgear
If a Truetrac is clunking you have problems. Do not drive it until you can disassemble and inspect what is going on.

Jeff
****. not what i wanted to hear. i just dont have the money to get it replaced any time soon because my DD has a failing engine. i was hoping to be able to use my 4th gen for a 3 hour drive i need to make this summer, but i guess thats out of the question now.

any idea what a replacement tru-trac goes for? and do you have to re-do the gear install to install a new one?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've put around 700 miles on my true-junk since it started popping around tight corners. (Havnt heard it for awhile) 4 passes at the strip and it started making noise. I will be pulling it out and replacing it but i'm not sure what to put back in it Bullet proof means spool or locker and i'd rather not use either one on a 99% street car