Hesitation between 2k and 3k, and hesitation at idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation between 2k and 3k, and hesitation at idle

Hello,

I have three symptoms, and am not sure if they are related or not:
  1. When I accelerate from 2K to 3K RPM there is a short hesitation where it feels as if power drops. I don't know if there isn't enough fuel, air, or no spark
  2. I hear a whine from what sounds like the rear speakers, but it can happen when the stereo is off. it changes tone with a rise in RPM. Could this also be the fuel pump? When the whine is loud the up volume on the steering control doesn't work.
  3. Sometime when I start the car it has a very rough idle and can stall. If i turn off the car and turn it back on again, it can behave fine.

the 2nd two problems seem to have began at the same time, but the hesitation started a couple months ago. Does anybody have a suggestion for me?

I would really appreciate any suggestions.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

SES light? codes?
Old 05-11-2010, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

check spark plug wires...
have you replaced all spark plugs?
Old 05-12-2010, 01:53 AM
Staging Lane

Your idle problem and throttle hesitation is bad spark plug(s) or burnt broken spark plug wire(s).
Old 05-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Karde
Hello,

I have three symptoms, and am not sure if they are related or not:
  1. When I accelerate from 2K to 3K RPM there is a short hesitation where it feels as if power drops. I don't know if there isn't enough fuel, air, or no spark
  2. I hear a whine from what sounds like the rear speakers, but it can happen when the stereo is off. it changes tone with a rise in RPM. Could this also be the fuel pump? When the whine is loud the up volume on the steering control doesn't work.
  3. Sometime when I start the car it has a very rough idle and can stall. If i turn off the car and turn it back on again, it can behave fine.

the 2nd two problems seem to have began at the same time, but the hesitation started a couple months ago. Does anybody have a suggestion for me?

I would really appreciate any suggestions.
I would say if it were bad plugs or wires it would NEVER behave fine. It would always run crappy.

Sounds like an electrical problem like corrosion build-up somewhere or a broken battery cable somewhere in the cable itself. Hard to find a broken cable, you have to start it and then grab onto each cable and move them around as much as you can to see if there's a change in how the engine runs. Corrosion is easy to find, just check all connections and look for white crap anywhere. Could also be a broken or loose pos/neg terminal on the battery itself.
Could be a loose PCM to Engine ground wire. You can check that by also grabbing and moving around the wiring harness close to the PCM while the engine is running and see if it changes anything.

If one fuel injector is acting up electrically, it will intermittently take out the whole side of that engine.

And damn.....it could be about 20 other things.