Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

do I need traction control, and ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default do I need traction control, and ABS?

Alright, I'm deciding on which rear to get and was wondering if I really need abs,tcs provisions. The car is gonna be pretty much "strip only" with occasional joyrides.

Some questions:

will I need to delete abs,tcs in the computer?

will my car stop at the end of the 1/4? More specifically, how will it affect my braking performance.

I'm leaning toward the 9" with full spool, or detroit locker. Does anyone have experience with this kind of setup? Or can it even be done? I just don't want to pay extra for all the stuff that i turn off every time i'm in the staging lanes anyway. Btw, my ABS doesn't work anyway, i think because of larger diameter tires on the rear, will not having the sensors back there help me get stopped after my run?

I know that is alot of questions, I'd just like to have a discussion on this topic, along with anyones personal experiences. This is a confusing subject. I change my mind weekly, as to which rear end I'm going with. The strange,8.8, and 9" all have advantages/disadvantages. I have pretty much decided that if I'm gonna spend this much on a rear, it's gonna be the strongest of the bunch, just for peace of mind. Any responses/experiences are appreciated.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a 9" with a locker and no ABS, TCS, PS, etc. Just about every warning light on my dash is lit up but it runs and stops fine. With skinnies, slicks, soft drag shocks and springs stopping at 120+ MPH can be a little interesting but I haven't had a problem yet. I usually miss the first turnoff
Old 01-13-2004, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

LOL thanks for the reply, I never make the first turnoff either. I think the 9 with locker will be the set up I will go with. I'm just going to keep the ten bolt if I ever "go back to stock". I think the ABS, TCS is kind of a waste of money for a "mostly" strip car.