Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Clunking Sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clunking Sound

Alright, I have ran into my first 'issue.'

When I shift at roughly 2500 RPM, and let the clutch out quick, there is a clunking sound almost. It comes from under the car, so immediately it had me thinking bad u-joints. I was also told, if the torque arm mount is bad, it will also make a clunking noise.

Well when I had the car in the air to bleed the slave cylinder, I looked at the torque arm mount, and visibly, the mount looks to be in good shape. I never touched the driveshaft, to see if there is any play in it, but I was just seeing if this was a fairly common problem. So I was looking for some ideas, so that I can fix it.

FYI- The car has an aluminum driveshaft, and the car has 50k miles on it.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be a number of things, motor mount going out, y-pipe hitting the floor, bad u-joints, tranny mount going out. You have to remember that when you shift hard, everything torques toward the passenger side of the car. Eliminate the good and fix the bad.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Funny.. My car is doing the same thing. Clunk when I punch it from a dead stop, and another clunk when it shifts into second... also has a slight vibration when Im getting on it in second.. Wish I could find the problem..
Old 05-28-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am thinking it is the tranny mount. How can you tell if the mount is bad, other than pulling it off the car and inspecting it?
Old 05-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Teching In

I have the same problem but i changed the trans mount and motor mounts to poly and it is still there i think the floor board might be flexing from the tunnel mount torque arm but i am not sure