Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Alignment help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Alignment help needed.

What alignment settings should I go with for a car that does not see the track? It is strictly for street driving performance and I have the mods listed below and also have BMR springs/Bilstein HD shocks on the way. I am just looking for the best setup for the way I drive which is mderate to agressive on the street. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For improved handling for street use I suggest:

-.7 camber
4.5 castor
0 toe (not in or out)

Tires will last a long time (virtually the same as stock specs) and handling and turn in will be improved.

My thoughts....

(Cue Mitch....)
Old 01-12-2004, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Cool thanks for the info. What about pinion angle. I am getting the new TQ arm and LCA relocation brackets and will need to set this also. I have heard 0 is a good pinion angle for a street car and some suggest -1 to -2. Which one will give best performance/tire wear?
Old 01-12-2004, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Pinion angle won't affect tire wear, just launch grip and U-joint life. I'd stay at -1.5 or less for a street car. As you get up around -2, you'll begin to bind the U-joints. This can cause vibration and rapid U-joint wear.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:58 AM
On The Tree

Thanks, so would I be better off with a 0 or a -1. I never take to track and don't want to mess anything up either. I have all the suspension parts on the way including new springs/shocks and the TQ arm.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

That should be fine.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DanoHB
What alignment settings should I go with for a car that does not see the track? It is strictly for street driving performance and I have the mods listed below and also have BMR springs/Bilstein HD shocks on the way. I am just looking for the best setup for the way I drive which is mderate to agressive on the street. Thanks.

I'm with trackbird. Stock alignment specs cause faster wear on the outside shoulder of the front tires. Setting static camber to -0.7 -0.75 will improve tire life dramatically, as well as promote better tire adhesion. I would also recommend a bump steer correcting kit from Baer racing if you drive on the street. Especially noticeable when the car is lowered, bump steer causes a change in toe angle when the suspension moves up and down (i.e. bumps). This causes the front wheel's steering angle to change without you moving the steering wheel ("bump steer"). The car feels unstable over mid-corner bumps, and can actually cause a loss of control during extreme hard cornering. The kit consists of outer tie rod ends, which can be adjusted up and down where it bolts to the steering knuckle. The object is to make the tie rod parallel to the lower control arm.
Most, if not all, the washers will go below the rod end. The kit is availible through RKSport.com or SDPC2000.com. Installing the kit made a big difference in steering feel, and the car now feels perfectly stable over mid-corner bumps, which you encounter the most in street driving.