Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo Timing

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turbo Timing

Hi, just installed turbo kit and I autotapped and had 4 degrees knock retard at 5lb boost. I did a search for timing tuning but didnt find any threads that explained the basics. Where do I start? What tables do I need to adjust? And based on RPM? I have a 3500 converter too...

I know it would be best to get it on a dyno and take a look at the torque peak but is there somewhere i can start first?

Thanks
Old 01-12-2004, 11:25 PM
11 Second Club

is it intercooled? check your IAT's.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No intercooler, it is the rear mounted STS
Old 01-13-2004, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

First you need it tuned for a conservative air to fuel ratio. If STS does not upgrade the fuel system do it know, at least injectors and a pump. You do not want your car running extremely lean like STS was doing on all the dyno runs. You would adjust the IFR table and PE vs RPM. ONce you get it conservative read AFR 12:0 or so on the dyno then start figuring out were the knock is occuring. You adjust the high octane timing tables lower to compensate for knock. Since it does not sound like you really know whats needed it probably a better idea is to get a reputable ls1 person to do the tune.

Gary
Old 01-13-2004, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well actually I know a true wideband would be best but my 02's show 920's - 930's @ wot in 3rd gear from like 70-100mph @ 5lb so it was getting fuel

Also note that my temp sensor was unplugged by accident when I made that log. Now that it is back in I wonder if the knock will show up different????

Is 4 degrees retard a big deal to worry about? It was fluctuating between 3-4 degrees retard.

thanks again
Old 01-13-2004, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

having the sensor unplugged would defnitely change the knock value.. if the computer reads the infinite resistance as moving the to the bottom timing vs temperature.. then you obviously will not be on the timing scale during normal driving.. go do it again.

now after that if you are getting knock (i like to never see more than 2 assuming no false knock) then i would pull twice that amount in the timing rpm range and load range that you are in when the timing occurred.. after that i would start to fool with the fueling, but .93 isnt far off for that low boost level.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks