General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Another Engine tick 2000

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Engine tick 2000

Ok guys I ran my car hard one night but it drove just fine and didnt lose any power. During all the runs oil pressure was good and so was temp.
Next moring I hear what sounds like a tick from the rear of the engine on the passenger side. sounded like something was banging against the valve cover.
I just rencently did LT heads and fucked up one of the header bolts from where the noise was coming from. All the exhaust ports had a seal except for the far back one(passenger head).
Diagnosis:
I pull off the valve cover and then the heads to check for any abnormalities.
Rocker arms look good, no bent push rods, springs were in place, Lifter looked good. I even looked at the cam, no worn down lobes.

Anyhow I cant find where that tick may have been coming from. Did I miss anything?
Attached Thumbnails Another Engine tick 2000-h1.jpg   Another Engine tick 2000-h2.jpg   Another Engine tick 2000-h3.jpg   Another Engine tick 2000-h4.jpg  
Old 05-31-2010, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

sounded like this, got louder when i reved the engine.
Is there a way to know if a lifter is no good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHsz7qStdlA
Old 06-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Teching In

hard to tell from clip. a lifter turned sideways in my old motor. temp and oil press were fine, power was there but godawful ticking noise. unplug coils and pull fuel pump relay see if you hear the noise cranking pull valve cover and loosen/ remove rockers one at a time and crank until noise goes away try to narrow it down that way. good luck.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:59 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by eduardo
Ok guys I ran my car hard one night but it drove just fine and didnt lose any power. During all the runs oil pressure was good and so was temp.
Next moring I hear what sounds like a tick from the rear of the engine on the passenger side. sounded like something was banging against the valve cover.
I just rencently did LT heads and fucked up one of the header bolts from where the noise was coming from. All the exhaust ports had a seal except for the far back one(passenger head).
Diagnosis:
I pull off the valve cover and then the heads to check for any abnormalities.
Rocker arms look good, no bent push rods, springs were in place, Lifter looked good. I even looked at the cam, no worn down lobes.

Anyhow I cant find where that tick may have been coming from. Did I miss anything?

I thnk you need to get that header bolt tightened before you do anything else. A header leak at the head is loud and usually sounds just like your ticking. You said it yourself that you fucked up one bolt. After a night of beating on the motor like that header bolts like to loosen to.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Well I just may be the dumbest guy on ls1tech, I pulled the whole engine apart and figured it was the freaking header gasket. A chunk of it burned off or fell off on the far exhaust port.
Now I gotta put all my shot back together,might as well do a head and cam.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:19 PM
FormerVendor

Well, at least it wasn't anything serious that was going to cost you serious money. If you are interested in a head/cam package shoot me message.